VMware Horizon Community
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use DEM without saving user folders/configs for some users

Hello. Is there a way to USE Dem for some desktop pools so that it does folder and app settings redirected but not for others? We have it working fine for our main pool of users, but there's a large group of training desktops where we was to use DEM for many things just not store user configs and profile settings. Each time they log in, it's a clean slate, but settingg inside there would be managed by DEM still. This appears to be a system wide setting from what I can tell. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Hoodsie2018,

You could do this by putting conditions on the configuration files.

You could check the pool name, for instance:

DEMdev_0-1624528336594.png

Or, if the pools use different images, you could bake some special registry key into the image, and do something like:

DEMdev_1-1624528466809.png

I would suggest to create one or more condition sets with whatever condition(s) you choose to use, and then reference those condition sets from your configuration files, rather than the conditions themselves. That allows for easier updates in the future, if required.

This approach means that you'd have to modify all your personalization config files (or all non-personalization config files, depending on whether you go for a "apply if this condition matches" or "do not apply if this condition matches" approach), which can be a hassle.

Instead of putting conditions on your config files, you could consider having DEM perform its personalization logic, but using a non-persistent profile archive folder for some desktop pools. (Given your "Each time they log in, it's a clean slate" statement, I'm assuming these are Instant Clones.)

For instance, you could configure a profile archive path of %LOCALAPPDATA%\VMware\DEM for the desktop pools where you do not want DEM to persist settings. If you enable Group Policy loopback processing in merge mode, configure this "non-persistent profile archive" setting, and target it to computer OUs with desktops where you don't want DEM to persist settings, it will override the "normal" profile archive path coming from the "normal" user GPO.

This is still somewhat involved, so in a future DEM version we will add an agent configuration setting to disable personalization.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Hoodsie2018,

You could do this by putting conditions on the configuration files.

You could check the pool name, for instance:

DEMdev_0-1624528336594.png

Or, if the pools use different images, you could bake some special registry key into the image, and do something like:

DEMdev_1-1624528466809.png

I would suggest to create one or more condition sets with whatever condition(s) you choose to use, and then reference those condition sets from your configuration files, rather than the conditions themselves. That allows for easier updates in the future, if required.

This approach means that you'd have to modify all your personalization config files (or all non-personalization config files, depending on whether you go for a "apply if this condition matches" or "do not apply if this condition matches" approach), which can be a hassle.

Instead of putting conditions on your config files, you could consider having DEM perform its personalization logic, but using a non-persistent profile archive folder for some desktop pools. (Given your "Each time they log in, it's a clean slate" statement, I'm assuming these are Instant Clones.)

For instance, you could configure a profile archive path of %LOCALAPPDATA%\VMware\DEM for the desktop pools where you do not want DEM to persist settings. If you enable Group Policy loopback processing in merge mode, configure this "non-persistent profile archive" setting, and target it to computer OUs with desktops where you don't want DEM to persist settings, it will override the "normal" profile archive path coming from the "normal" user GPO.

This is still somewhat involved, so in a future DEM version we will add an agent configuration setting to disable personalization.

Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks DEMdev. Much to think about. We are using instant clones, floating, with different pools. Some share the same image, some share a different image. The pool in question where we don't want user data syncing to a share like roaming profiles, this one is a separate image. 

I didn't realize configuration files could utilize condition sets. I don't really follow you on that last option. I'm kind of new to DEM. 

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Hoodsie2018,

If the pool where you don't want to manage user settings is using a separate image that's unique for that pool, you could use either of the condition examples from my first response.

As for the Group Policy-based option, that's just leveraging standard Windows functionality to apply different DEM agent configuration to different pools. On that note: are you using GPOs to configure the DEM agent, or did you install it in NoAD mode?

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using AD as we configured many GPOs combined with the Optimization tool before we knew about DEM and started using it. I kind of wish we had started with DEM so the GPOs and local policies were much cleaner, but now I'm not sure since the DEM agent seems to be the culprit for sluggish logons and logoffs. Not sure how to investigate that. 

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Hoodsie2018,

To investigate whether DEM is the culprit for slow logons/logoff, just check the DEM log file – it will tell you exactly how long it took.

Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@DEMdev :

Thanks. Is there a good article that can show me how to address what I find in there? Going to reference it for the future. 

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have DEM logs in DEBUG mode, it would show the processing by FlexEngine and time taken in each - for example, how long it took to import an application's profile archive. So, in case of sluggish logon/logoff, you would be able to see which process is taking long and then take actions accordingly. Following KB explains how to enable debug logging for a single user : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2113514

Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.