VMware Horizon Community
robinstolpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade DEM agent to 2111 and now it has stopped working

Hi,
I was running 2106 of DEM and everything works fine with that so I did update to 2111 and then in self support they can't see there DEM config for apps and it don't load or save configuration either so DEM have stopped working with 2111.

I did rollback to 2106 and everything work fine now again but I want to upgrade to 2111 anyone knowing what the issue can be?

Edit
I have updated the GPO's to 2111 and it works with 2106 also - it do seem that I missing some kind of new or changed setting for 2111 that was not there for 2106?

IT engineer that works with the hole VMWare portfolio and also loves to develop and automate in C# and PowerShell
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @robinstolpe ,

Just to confirm whether is it working now for you after upgrading to DEM 2111 or you are still having issues? Do you have FlexEngine logs from the time when it did not work for you? If you do, please share. 

0 Kudos
robinstolpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal 

Hi,

No, it works when I rollback to 2106 but when I upgrade to 2111 it stop working.

When I'm on 2111 and opening for example the Self-Support DEM applikation in the pool I don't see any applications etc.
When I'm rolling back to 2106 I can see all of the application in self-support DEM application in the pool again.

When I did test now it do seem to work with the sync, I did try to add a new bookmark to MS Edge Chromium and logoff and on again and it was still there and the log was telling that it was working.

But the issue with self support are still there and that's a good feature for my users to use. So how can I provide with more information regarding the self-support application so we can get it to work?

IT engineer that works with the hole VMWare portfolio and also loves to develop and automate in C# and PowerShell
0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @robinstolpe , our engineers tried this again in the lab. Steps they took to validate this:

1. Installed DEM 2106 and used self support tool. It's working fine. 

2. Upgraded to DEM 2111 and used self support tool. It's working fine. They could see the archive backups for the applications.

Can you please share the steps that we can use to reproduce this scenario. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
robinstolpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal 

I did it like this:

1. Updated App Volume Manager servers to 2111
2. Updated App Volume agent and DEM agent to the 2111 version on the GoldenImages
3. Pushed it out to my pools

DEM Self-Support just says "No Applications" then I did rollback to DEM agent 2106 and then I can see the application again in Self-Support.

My Horizon View are running 2106 but I did update our Test environment yesterday to 2111 and it's the same issue there also.

We do have our DEM profiles etc. on DFS share but as it works with 2106 when we rollback I can exclude that from the issue as it works with 2106

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @robinstolpe ,

Can you please collect and share ProcMon traces (for both the working and non-working scenarios), filtered on “Flex+ Self-Support.exe”. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
robinstolpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal 

Do you have KB how I can collect them?

I do have in my agreement support from VMWare as we are a government company can I email you with the logs instead due to the fact that we are a government company?

(I was posting here as other people maybe get the same issue also 🙂 That's why I did post here instead of contacting vmware support directly

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'd suggest opening an SR and linking to this post

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@robinstolpe you can refer to : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/82621

As suggested by @sjesse , you can open an SR so support folks can help with this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bjartest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are seeing the same behavior. Self support is empty and not working with DEM running version 2111. Profile import and export seems to be working as expected. We are also running DEM on a DFS share. Any update on this?

0 Kudos
kblank
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the self support tool has an empty list of applications. I think the DEM agent itsself is working.

Envirmoment:

- Windows 10 1909

- DEM 2111 + Sync tool

- we have configured the clients with no-ad mode

- DFS share for both Profile and Config share

Sync tool is correctly syncing with the shares. 

Uninstalling Sync tool and explicitly having a network connection before logging in results in the same situation 

0 Kudos
Digg66
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that. We did some testing, but everytime we upgrade or clean install the DEM Agent to 2111 we facing the same problem.

DEM Agent 2111 + Self-Service Tool 2111 -> empty application list
DEM Agent 2111 + Self-Service Tool 2006 -> empty application list
DEM Agent 2006 + Self Service Tool 2006 -> SST is working

2021-12-15 14_51_16-Windows 10 Desktop.png

The 2111 DEM Agent is working without any issue, but the self service tool is definitly broken.

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please raise an SR. We would like to collect FlexEngine logs in debug mode and procmon traces to look into this issue. Thanks

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks to a ProcMon trace that @kblank provided to one of my colleagues, we've been able to analyze what's going wrong here.

Please see my other post about this bug for more details. Again, our apologies for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos