VMware Horizon Community
damonbreeden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UEM not backing up Office products

I've got UEM set up and it's working for a few products and Windows settings fine. However no Office products are being backed up. Per the log something is causing UEM to skip the XML files. Here is a snippet of the logs:

2016-08-22 16:23:31.324 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\Acrobat Reader.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.324 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\Calculator.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.324 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\Notepad.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.324 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\Paint.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.324 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\PaintDotNet.ini'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\ShoreTel.ini'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\VLC.ini'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Applications\Wordpad.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Error reading condition set '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\FlexRepository\ConditionSet\Microsoft Office 2010.xml'

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2010.xml"/>'

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Microsoft Office 2010\Access.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2010.xml"/>'

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Microsoft Office 2010\Excel.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Microsoft Office 2010\InfoPath.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.339 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Microsoft Office 2010\OneNote.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.355 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2010.xml"/>'

2016-08-22 16:23:31.355 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Microsoft Office 2010\Outlook.INI'.

2016-08-22 16:23:31.355 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2010.xml"/>'

2016-08-22 16:23:31.355 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\Microsoft Office 2010\PowerPoint.INI'.

None of the Office apps are being backed up. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

There is a mistake in the UEM Configuration share: \\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\

You have 2 general folders. The General folder gets created by the UEM management console.

You should configure the GPO to point to \\company.com\view\UEM\General

and move the content from the second general folder to the first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

There is a mistake in the UEM Configuration share: \\company.com\view\UEM\General\general\

You have 2 general folders. The General folder gets created by the UEM management console.

You should configure the GPO to point to \\company.com\view\UEM\General

and move the content from the second general folder to the first.

0 Kudos
damonbreeden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was the problem, thanks.

Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

you're welcome Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pim_van_de_Vis

I have this same problem, none of the Office products are being saved. We are running O365 using the Office2016 templates. Here are the errors in the FlexEngine log file:

2020-10-19 13:02:55.954 [ERROR] Error reading condition set '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\FlexRepository\ConditionSet\Microsoft Office 2016.xml'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.954 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2016.xml"/>'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.954 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\general\Microsoft Office 2016\Access.ini'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.954 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2016.xml"/>'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.954 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\general\Microsoft Office 2016\Excel.ini'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.970 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2016.xml"/>'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.970 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\general\Microsoft Office 2016\OneDrive for Business.ini'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.985 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2016.xml"/>'

2020-10-19 13:02:55.985 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\general\Microsoft Office 2016\OneNote.ini'

2020-10-19 13:02:56.001 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2016.xml"/>'

2020-10-19 13:02:56.001 [ERROR] Error evaluating conditions -- skipping export processing for config file '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\general\Microsoft Office 2016\Outlook.ini'

2020-10-19 13:02:56.016 [ERROR] Conditions: Invalid xml '<ref n="Microsoft Office 2016.xml"/>'

How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi RachelW,

There are a few things that might cause this. Easiest to pinpoint using a log file at log level DEBUG, covering a full logon or logoff.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi DEMdev​,

Silly question....how do I get a log file with log level DEBUG? 🙂

Update: Actually I think my log level is already set to DEBUG.  I will post a copy of the log shortly.

The other thing I noticed is that it is NOT saving the Microsoft Office 2016 folder under Archives on our UEM server.  The only thing UEM is capturing is Applications and Windows Settings. See below.

Win10-UEMArchive.png

RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In looking at the log file I see this error: [ERROR] Condition set '\\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general\FlexRepository\ConditionSet\Microsoft Office 2016.xml' not found.  When I look at the UEMConfig\temp\general directory I do not have a FlexRepository directory there.  I DO however have a SECOND general folder (see below). How do I get rid of that?  I am sure that is the problem but when I attempt to fix it, I have nothing in UEM....

GPO points to \\UEM01\UEMConfig\temp\general

In other words, if I move the 5 folders listed below out of the temp\general\general folder and into the temp\general folder, the config files in UEM go away. 😞

UEMTempGeneral.png

This is my TEST Environment that is why it is UEMConfig\TEMP\general (my production environment is UEMConfig\general) - I am trying to keep this Windows10 desktop and settings separate from my production environment since we are running Office 2010 there.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi RachelW,

That extra "General" folder is indeed the culprit here. Your GPO is configured correctly (as it should be pointing to the "General" folder in the share), but the Management Console's configuration share setting should be pointing to the share itself (rather than to the "General" folder.)

Does your current Management Console "DEM configuration share" setting look like this?

pastedImage_1.png

If so, can you remove that "\general", and move the folders from your screenshot into the "temp\general" folder? (After making sure you have a backup, even though this is a test environment...)

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, my Management Console "DEM configuration share" looked like that.  I removed the \general and copied the files from the temp\general folder.  Now I see a different message in the log file.

2020-10-20 16:37:15.904 [DEBUG] Conditions: Evaluating condition set 'Microsoft Office 2016.xml'

2020-10-20 16:37:15.904 [DEBUG] Conditions: Check for path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16' = false

Office 2016 is not installed in that directory.  It is actually installed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16'. So based on this thread, Office 365 not working with UEM 9.3 , I changed the path in the Condition set. Unfortunately I am still not getting any archive folder for Office 2016.  I will post a log shortly.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So as mentioned yesterday I changed the directory to  'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16' and now see THIS error in the log file.

2020-10-21 11:57:16.211 [DEBUG] Conditions: Evaluating condition set 'Microsoft Office 2016.xml'

2020-10-21 11:57:16.212 [DEBUG] Conditions: Check for path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16' = false

I'm confused.

Before I setup Outlook on the desktop, that directory does NOT exist.  After setting it up, the directory IS there but actually under 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16'.

pastedImage_4.png

I changed my condition set (see below) yesterday prior to logging into the desktop today. so why does DEM think it should look in (x86)??? Very frustrated....

pastedImage_1.png

UPDATE: Ok, so now DEM is looking in the correct location but still not finding it.

2020-10-21 13:17:07.800 [DEBUG] Conditions: Evaluating condition set 'Microsoft Office 2016.xml'

2020-10-21 13:17:07.801 [DEBUG] Conditions: Check for path '%Program Files%\Microsoft Office\root\Office16' = false

I am wondering if the directory is being deleted when I logoff BEFORE DEM captures it.  Is that possible?  Or what is going on? Frustrated.....

Also, should we be setting up O365 Outlook in Cached Exchanged mode?  I am currently selecting NO.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi RachelW,

Looks like you have that "Resolve ... to 32-bit ... on 64-bit systems" checkbox checked:

pastedImage_1.png

That's why the DEM agent checks in Program Files (x86). Just unchecking that option should do the trick.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I apologize but I do not know where to find that option.  Also, is there a space between Program Files in the path?

Looking at that Condition again, I do not see that "checking 32-bit..." statement now.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi RachelW,

There should be no space within the %ProgramFiles% environment variable. That 32/64 checkbox option only appears (in the Add or Edit dialog for the File or Folder condition) if the path starts with C:\Program Files\, C:\Program Files (x86)\, or %ProgramFiles%.

As your current setting starts with %Program Files% (with a space), the option does not show.

Removing that space and making sure that the 32/64 checkbox is not checked should hopefully do the trick.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Woohoo!  The good news I now have an Outlook profile after logging out and back in to the desktop!!

The bad news is when I open Word or Excel I see this error.  I clicked Sign in and the error was resolved but the error happens each time I login.

pastedImage_0.png

The other bad news is I lost Teams...which THAT doesn't make sense because it is installed on the image.  DEM must be doing something with that.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi RachelW,

Woohoo!  The good news I now have an Outlook profile after logging out and back in to the desktop!!

Happy to hear that!

I'm afraid I can only help with DEM-related questions; I don't know enough about individual applications to help troubleshoot issues around application-specific configuration.

Probably good to start a new thread about these, with config details and logs?

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The strange thing is that I believe DEM IS causing Teams to disappear.  Once I got the Outlook Profile to save with DEM is when I lost Teams.  Teams is installed on the image and worked great until I got the Outlook profile working.  Does that make sense?

However, I do not see anything in the log to indicate a problem.

How about having to sign in to the other office applications, Word, Excel?  How do we save that via DEM?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you post that in a different thread, this one is getting long and off the orignal topic which can confuse people.

rrizzi3821
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just spent about six hours debugging something I believe occurs quite often with DEM versions 2203 through 2209 (they are the only versions I have checked so far) for new administrators, that will really cause you some frustration if you run into the issues I have run into while performing a POC for DEM with App Volumes 4.x and VMware Horizon 8 with non-persistent desktops.

This is related to most of this thread, and the documentation beginning on or around p. 70 titled "VMware Dynamic Environment
Manager Administration Guide" retrieved on December 11, 2022 from https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Dynamic-Environment-Manager/2103/dynamic-environment-manager2103-a.... I checked the docs for DEM 2203, 2206 and 2209 as of this writing and they are all the same (not sure about the page numbers though).

Using 32-Bit Path to Program Files on 64-Bit Systems

You can convert a 32-bit Program Files folder path to be used on a 64-bit system. Several conditions refer to paths in the Program Files folder. If you specify a path starting with C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), or a localized equivalent, a button appears in front of the path. If you click it, you can convert the start of the path to %ProgramFiles% and resolve that variable to the 32-bit Program Files folder on 64-bit systems.

What puzzles me about the above documentation is that you would think the path-expansion by the FlexEngine would be automatic, but it does not appear to be the case. I have only worked with 64-bit apps thus far on 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise desktops.

What they do not tell you is if you use an environment variable in the path, then you must verify if your application is stored in c:\Program Files (x86)\ (32-bit app on a 64-bit system), or if it was installed into c:\Program files\ (64-bit app on a 64-bit system). The reason is that your exports will never occur if the FlexConfig engine cannot find the app in that path shown. The three different settings for "Export Moment" on the DirectFlex tab make not difference here either.

In other words, the trigger to facilitate the export operation(s) will never happen as evidenced in the [DEBUG] version of the logs. I profiled Notepad++ and even though it is rather simple as to what the export ([IncludeFolderTrees] of <AppData>\Notepad++) , I could not find any source that clearly indicates that I had to disable the check mark that seems to appear by DEFAULT in DEM 2203, to tell the FlexEngine that the 64-bit version was installed and profiled. This 32 bit versus 64 bit option is somewhat buried under the DirectFlex tab, in the Executables Frame near the middle half of the dialog box. If you see "32" and then %ProgramFiles% and your app is 64-bit, then this is very likely to be at least ONE of the issues preventing the FlexEngine from exporting your configured settings to capture upon log off or application close, etc.

This seems very counterintuitive when profiling applications using the DEM profiling tool, since it absolutely should know which path the application was installed into. Please correct my post here if I am wrong about this and I will EDIT this post to be correct. I've gone back and forth for over six hours to track this issue down and it was affecting all my profiles, and I'm only one week into learning DEM soup to nuts, so that might explain some things here.

I hope this helps someone save some time, and I hope that VMware decides to add some wording to the documentation to point this out.

-- RR
0 Kudos