deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM logon task

Jump to solution

Hey,

I am attempting to to run a logon task that updates files in program files(x86).

I have created a powershell script to replace the file and converted the power shell script into a executable that I have listed to run with elevated permissions. It doesn't seem to run. Could this be because it's being process prior to elevations are being set?Also, is there a better method that could be used to update files in program files that regular user accounts do not have permissions for?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Indeed, in the UEM Shortcut dialog, pick Programs folder as destination, and enter StartUp in the corresponding text field:

pastedImage_3.png

That way it'll be Explorer launching your tool, instead of the UEM agent itself.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184​,

Elevating launches from UEM components is a bit of a chicken and egg situation... Does it work if you launch it via a shortcut in the StartUp folder, or via an entry in the RunOnce key?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't tried run once and startup but I can login to the desktops and run the executable. Startup method within the shortcut options ?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Indeed, in the UEM Shortcut dialog, pick Programs folder as destination, and enter StartUp in the corresponding text field:

pastedImage_3.png

That way it'll be Explorer launching your tool, instead of the UEM agent itself.

View solution in original post

deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Amazing I will give this a shot tomorrow! I really appreciate the great responses

deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! This did the job Smiley Happy

iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried doing the same thing to have my .bat file run at login - but it didn't work. When I logged onto the desktop I see that the shortcut was created at the Startup location. When I attempt to run it within the context of the logged in desktop user I get access denied. I thought UEM running the shortcut from Startup was supposed to run it in elevated privlege mode? Am I missing something? My .bat file points back to my file share.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don’t think it runs with elevated privileges. I converted a powershell script to an executable and elevated that executable which worked.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ahhh. Could I ask how you do that? Smiley Happy. I just want to run a reg add command. Would powershell need to be installed on the desktop too?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used PS2EXE available here:

PS2EXE : "Convert" PowerShell Scripts to EXE Files

I quickly did a google search and came across some BAT to EXE converts.

Check this one out:

Advanced BAT to EXE Converter v4.11 - Official Site - Freeware encrypt and compile batch files to .E...

Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you create the EXe with elevated Privileges ?

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe UEM app elevation is only for pre-configured apps. Not for something like a startup script. No HKLM (presently only limited support) and true elevation of commands is a bummer. I like UEM but ProfileUnity natively supports both of those. Hope UEM adds more functionality like this soon.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But Again there are USer based and Path based Elevation

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos