VMware Horizon Community
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UEM logon task

Hey,

I am attempting to to run a logon task that updates files in program files(x86).

I have created a powershell script to replace the file and converted the power shell script into a executable that I have listed to run with elevated permissions. It doesn't seem to run. Could this be because it's being process prior to elevations are being set?Also, is there a better method that could be used to update files in program files that regular user accounts do not have permissions for?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Indeed, in the UEM Shortcut dialog, pick Programs folder as destination, and enter StartUp in the corresponding text field:

pastedImage_3.png

That way it'll be Explorer launching your tool, instead of the UEM agent itself.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi deep184​,

Elevating launches from UEM components is a bit of a chicken and egg situation... Does it work if you launch it via a shortcut in the StartUp folder, or via an entry in the RunOnce key?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't tried run once and startup but I can login to the desktops and run the executable. Startup method within the shortcut options ?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Indeed, in the UEM Shortcut dialog, pick Programs folder as destination, and enter StartUp in the corresponding text field:

pastedImage_3.png

That way it'll be Explorer launching your tool, instead of the UEM agent itself.

deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Amazing I will give this a shot tomorrow! I really appreciate the great responses

deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! This did the job Smiley Happy

iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I tried doing the same thing to have my .bat file run at login - but it didn't work. When I logged onto the desktop I see that the shortcut was created at the Startup location. When I attempt to run it within the context of the logged in desktop user I get access denied. I thought UEM running the shortcut from Startup was supposed to run it in elevated privlege mode? Am I missing something? My .bat file points back to my file share.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don’t think it runs with elevated privileges. I converted a powershell script to an executable and elevated that executable which worked.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ahhh. Could I ask how you do that? Smiley Happy. I just want to run a reg add command. Would powershell need to be installed on the desktop too?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I used PS2EXE available here:

PS2EXE : "Convert" PowerShell Scripts to EXE Files

I quickly did a google search and came across some BAT to EXE converts.

Check this one out:

Advanced BAT to EXE Converter v4.11 - Official Site - Freeware encrypt and compile batch files to .E...

Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you create the EXe with elevated Privileges ?

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I believe UEM app elevation is only for pre-configured apps. Not for something like a startup script. No HKLM (presently only limited support) and true elevation of commands is a bummer. I like UEM but ProfileUnity natively supports both of those. Hope UEM adds more functionality like this soon.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

But Again there are USer based and Path based Elevation

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos