VMware Horizon Community
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM applied Shortcuts - How to you DEL them from the desktop ?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

I pushed out a shortcut via UEM to users desktops.  That process works great.  I have a condition set to only do that for a specific set of users that are in the group . That works great as well .

So lets say i want to Delete that UEM applied desktop shortcut later . 

If i Disable applying the Shortcut in UEM.. im presuming that would simply not apply it to any more machines .

However - If i Click the Shortcut Application 'rule' and Click Remove on the UEM menu.  It removes the Shortcut rule from UEM correctly.

However the Shortcut Still persists on the desktop after a reboot .

Is this 'working as intended' ?... sorry if this is a stupid question.. but how do i actually Delete the shortcut from the users desktop via UEM/DEM ?

If one Admin deleted the Shortcut rule... another Admin might not even know the shortcut is 'out in the wild' and on the users desktop .

Am i missing something here ?

thanks .

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Douglas42Adams,

This is indeed 'working as intended', but that intention might not always be matching your expectations, unfortunately...

Shortcuts (and some of the other user environment settings) have an "undo" option which means that UEM/DEM automatically removes them again at logoff:

pastedImage_0.png

Without that option configured, the shortcut will indeed "stick around" even if you disable or delete the setting in the Management Console.

0 Kudos
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your help .. its appreciated.

I do Ineeded have the option checked. ( only that option ). However that shortcut still persists on my desktop .

i tried unchecking 'desktop' as Destination... and it wouldnt let me do that ( makes sense i guess ) .

i Do have a condition of Group Membership for the icon to be placed. that shouldn't matter right ?  I am a member of the group .

Here's the exact config of my shortcut - this is just a test.. the Dialer app .dialer-app.JPG

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Douglas42Adams,

Are you by any chance capturing desktop items (like shortcuts) with a Personalization config file?

0 Kudos
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pls excuse my ignorance .

Do you mean a config specifically for the Application itself ? under General-Applications in  UEM/DEM ?

Or maybe something under General - Windows Settings ?.. that captures shortcuts ?

As far as i can tell i dont have anything under those two that would deal w/ shortcuts.. and not the specific app itself in UEM.

I was just testing creating and deleting a Shortcut w/ an app thats in c:\windows\system32\... ie already on the machine .

We DO of course have a folder redirection in place for the users desktop .

thanks .

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Douglas42Adams,

Yeah, something like:

pastedImage_1.png

The settings from the Easy Start don't do anything like that, and I can't imagine you added it either Smiley Happy, so we'll have to figure out what exactly is going on. Can you share a log file, at log level DEBUG, containing a full session from logon till logoff?

0 Kudos
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI ,

Nope.. not doing anything like you listed. thanks .

I Did find this old forum post :

UEM 8.7 - UEM Refresh / Shortcut "Undo at logoff" not working

Yep .. its a tad old.. we Are getting that "[ERROR] Async UEM actions or UEM Refresh in progress" error .

Im working on getting the logs.  I should probably get my managers ok to post them just to be safe Smiley Happy .  Is there any method i can send them to you outside the forum ?.. Could you PM me ?

thanks .

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Douglas42Adams,

That "[ERROR] Async UEM actions or UEM Refresh in progress" is something we'd need to look at as well, but I don't think it's related.

Totally understand that you're hesitant to publicly share a log file – I'll PM you for that.

0 Kudos