VMware Horizon Community
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

UEM and multiple profiles

What protections can I put in place to prevent changes being lost due to being logged into more then one desktop. Here is an real example

A user has two desktops assigned

Desktop A

Desktop B

used for different purposes but both have Outlook installed. The user logs into Desktop A and then disconnects forgetting they logged in. They then logon to Desktop B changing settings like the email signature.They logoff and then remember the are logged into Desktop A, and they logoff there. Since the archive from B was saved first then the archive from A was saved the setting  was lost.

Other than preventing multiple logons, which I don't think you can do in Horizon View, is there a setting or something else I can try. I have directflex off for outlook, but its on most things, and may explain why every once in awhile I get complaints about settings not saving.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse,

If you need to make changes in both environments (and persist those at logoff) then the "Import only" approach does indeed not fit the bill. Importing changes just before logoff wouldn't help either (if that were possible, which it isn't, really :-), as you would then still be overwriting settings – just different ones.

Having users logging on to multiple sessions concurrently remains a tricky scenario if you want to capture settings from all sessions. DirectFlex helps a bit, but only if the user launches and exits applications, instead of only exiting the apps at logoff. So yeah, if you can somehow ensure that people can only log on once, that would make life a lot easier.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse,

If you can detect the desktop's "purpose" in such a way that it can be used in a UEM condition, you can maybe designate one desktop as "import only".

At the bottom of the conditions panel, there are two drop downs that control what happens if conditions match, and what happens if they don't. By default, that's Import and export and Do nothing, respectively, but you can also pick Import only:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HI UEMdev

A better example is in a school. Say I have an engineering class and a computer science class. Both have outlook that would be used in the same manner, to view email . I can't think of any conditions that would help and both would need to save the changes. I just was hoping for a way maybe to import any changes right before logoff maybe, but I can't find anyway to do that. The only thing you can refresh is File Types, printers, and similar items it looks like. I'm tempted to push to have anyone with a profile use a App Volumes writable volume that saves the profile, and use that to make sure people can only logon at once.

I have other reasons for wanting to try the writable volume anyway, I've been required to redirect appdata, which has caused me problems in the past when updating config files.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse,

If you need to make changes in both environments (and persist those at logoff) then the "Import only" approach does indeed not fit the bill. Importing changes just before logoff wouldn't help either (if that were possible, which it isn't, really :-), as you would then still be overwriting settings – just different ones.

Having users logging on to multiple sessions concurrently remains a tricky scenario if you want to capture settings from all sessions. DirectFlex helps a bit, but only if the user launches and exits applications, instead of only exiting the apps at logoff. So yeah, if you can somehow ensure that people can only log on once, that would make life a lot easier.