VMware Horizon Community
any_guy
Contributor
Contributor

UEM and Horizon View Floating Linked Clone Non Persistent Pools

Hello,

I want to switch the profile management in our virtual desktop environment (ca. 150 users) from persona management to UEM.

Does anyone have experience with what works best? I was thinking of redirecting all user folders (documents, music, desktop etc. including the Appdata) to the network and have UEM handle the Windows and Office settings such as taskbar icons, wallpaper, ribbons etc.

Is this something that anyone has already tested? Any other suggestions on how to use UEM for user profile management with floating non persistent pools?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sachindsharma
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but when you decide to move, here's a KB article that describes how to perform the migration: VMware KB: Migrate VMware Persona Management to VMware User Environment Manager

0 Kudos
any_guy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sachindsharma,

yes I'm aware of that KB.

I'm more on the lookout of others experiences with using UEM as profile management solution. Just want to setup the environment as clean and flawless as possible.

0 Kudos
Pim999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I've been involved with some customers migration from Persona to UEM already.

The document Sachin points to makes a good starting point, because it already explains what parts of the User profile are managed by UEM. Basically everything, except the Document (Pictures, etc.) folder.

So the only folder you have to redirect is Documents (and maybe Pictures, Music and Video's). Everything else will be managed by UEM.

To only step you have to take that might take some effort is creating UEM Config Files for your applications. Use the Application Profiler for that and it becomes a simple task.

The UEM documentation site contains Admin Guides that explain how the different components work:

https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/uem-pubs.html

0 Kudos