VMware Horizon Community
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM Windows 10 Icon Locations

Already seen in other forums, but did not find any solution.

We are using VMware UEM 9.3 with Windows 10 (in this case build 1609), but the icon locations are not maintained.

The first time a user logs into a dekstop, and arranges his icons and logoff, then the locations are being save (somewhere), after loggin on again, these locations are maintained. After changing the locations again, log off an log on again, the first time arranged icons are where they where the first time. So after the first time logging on with a user it works, after that not anymore...

Already tried different logs...

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/554311

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/563975

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/522005

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2128007

But no solution unfortunately,

Any tips/suggestions about this topic?

14 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

Are you using Blast to connect to the VDI machines?

Because Blast will reset/change the resolution after the connection is setup, and this causes the desktop icons layout to be reset.

Not a lot UEM can do about that, since it's how Blast and Windows work. If you change the resolution of your session you will see the same behavior, and it makes sense, because when switching to a lower resolution, sometimes the icons layout no longer fits on the screen and needs to be reordered.

0 Kudos
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well Smiley Happy

In my lab : No, in my lab just Windows 10 RDS and UEM 9.3, and strangly enough, same behaviour...

0 Kudos
Gekken1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

I ran a PoC for a customer last year, using UEM 9.2 and Windows 10 (1609 and 1703). One of the key test points for this PoC was to retain icon locations on the desktop. In this case we had no issues regarding this. I ran a few test this morning using different screen sizes, even changed between one and two monitor setup, icons moved saved and retained locations to "last saved".

I read a bit about this issue, but only settings I enabled to retain icons was to "expand" the "Windows Explorer" config.

pastedImage_0.png

I'll try to upgrade to UEM 9.3 later today and see if I get the same behavior.

SchwarzC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have it as an extra Ini File for this - do have these in your enviroment?

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

BR

johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for youre info, I have the same config tried...

The behaviour is after the second / third time logging on and then change the location..

It seems that this issue kicks in after the first time UEM writes the user settings away. From that moment, this issue starts.

I also have tried in a clean Windows 10 / UEM 9.3 setup, same story....

0 Kudos
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I have these...

0 Kudos
Gekken1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

Upgraded my UEM agent to 9.3 this morning, still not able to reproduce your problems.

Starting up a new environment next week, will exciting to see if I get any issues Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting Smiley Happy please let me know.... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SlowLogon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have same issue on 1709. No fix.

0 Kudos
johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will investigate further! Also interesting for 18031

If I come up with something I will let you know asap

0 Kudos
chriskoch99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have similar behavior in Windows 7, but only in multi-monitor situations.  Single-monitor users always persist their icon locations.  Following...

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Actually we have same story long back but I did not keep eye on it these day's, I will updated on it if we are having this issue are not with multiple scenarios [like, single monitor and double monitor]

Regards,

Vkmr. 

0 Kudos
jj45678
Contributor
Contributor

We had this same issue in our environment.

I noticed a crucial registry key for preserving icon locations was missing from the the default Windows Common Settings in UEM which we added (sounds like you found this too)

1. 'HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU' (VMware KB2128007​)​

Once we applied that, it fixed 80% of our users, however, we still had a handful continuing to experience issues. What the heck Microsoft!?

After doing some registry comparisons, the key mentioned above was not behaving correctly on the problem profiles

1. DWORD 'MRUListEX' had an unrecognizable entry
  2. BagMRU subkeys were nesting themselves instead of recreating top level

The Fix

Deleting the entire 'HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU' key completely fixed the issue. Once it was deleted, I logged out the user, logged them back in, and any desktop changes from that moment forward was retained every log in. Seems like an easy thing to automate for someone much more skilled than me Smiley Happy.

What a pain!

johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is very interesting! Thanks, I will dig into this...

0 Kudos