VMware Horizon Community
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM Self-Support

Hello,

Just noticed after setting up the UEM configuration for RDS apps that Self-Support tool is not functioning. After resetting a configuration no flag file is set in the users share for the configuration and after completing a logoff/on the self-support indicates no file size associated for that configuration. However, when browsing to the users file share we can confirm that the configuration is still there and it has not been deleted. The user can browse to the configuration and delete the setting manually.

Please let me know what I should be looking for.

Thanks

19 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi deep184​,

Any references in the FlexEngine.log (debug) file?

Maybe something to double check, is the user also able to rename the .ZIP file?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184​,

Can you provide a bit more detail, both on your setup and on the exact actions performed in the Self-Support Tool? Are you using the SyncTool as well, by any chance?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We are using Windows 10 laptops with the UEM 9.2 installed and we do have the SyncTool enabled.

These laptops have Horizon client 4.4 installed on them which allow users to connect to the published apps.

I launch the Self-Support tool and select the application to reset (notice no flag file being created), close down horizon client, logoff and on to only notice that the application has not been reset.

Deleted my UEM profile and retested, here is the only log entry:

2017-12-20 07:25:36.091 [ERROR] If multiple sets of predefined settings are configured, they all need to have conditions or be disabled (2/2/2)

Thanks

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Users are able to rename the zip files.

Log entry:

2017-12-20 07:25:36.091 [ERROR] If multiple sets of predefined settings are configured, they all need to have conditions or be disabled (2/2/2)

2017-12-20 07:25:43.717 [WARN ] Previous import not marked as successful -- skipping export.

2017-12-20 07:26:42.849 [ERROR] If multiple sets of predefined settings are configured, they all need to have conditions or be disabled (2/2/2)

2017-12-20 07:46:07.160 [ERROR] If multiple sets of predefined settings are configured, they all need to have conditions or be disabled (2/2/2)

2017-12-20 07:46:07.442 [WARN ] Triggering DirectFlex export for config file 'Applications\Notepad.INI' due to unprocessed PIDs ('C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE' [#8844])

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah I looked into users local profile and noticed under the FlexSync folder that the flag files for the reset applications are being created there and eventually deleted.

However, it does not delete it from the users network profile. Am I missing a setting that should be enabled to complete this?

I think I'm getting closer and thanks.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

That's why I asked about the SyncTool, yes 🙂

Is the SyncTool correctly running at logoff? In a SyncTool scenario, all actions performed by the UEM agent and the Self-Support Tool only affect the local SyncTool cache. When the SyncTool runs (either periodically in resident mode, or at logoff), these changes are synced to the remote profile archive share.

If you can provide log files for FlexEngine (at log level DEBUG) and the SyncTool, we can try and establish what exactly is going on in your environment.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Noticing that the settings for RDS apps are being stored on the users network UEM profile instead of locally first.

Any application that is installed locally on the laptop and settings are being captured for by UEM stores the settings locally first.

When completing a log off and on the local archived profile gets updated with the RDS application settings from the network.

I  will provide the logs shortly

Thanks

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

Noticing that the settings for RDS apps are being stored on the users network UEM profile instead of locally first.

Sure, assuming you're not using the SyncTool on your RDSH boxes (and you shouldn't :-), settings for your RDSH apps would be read from and written to the remote share directly.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

So I noticed that the GPOs for Flexengine and Synctool were not processing in the correct order which has resolved resetting captured setting though the Self-Support for applications locally installed on laptop. However, I’m still unable to reset captured setting for the RDSH apps, reset flag sets locally but it doesn’t sync with the network location.....

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

Glad to hear that you've fixed part of the issue by tweaking the GPO order.

As for resetting RDSH app settings: are you running the SyncTool only at logon and logoff, or also during the session (i.e. in "resident" mode)?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey buddy Smiley Happy

SyncTool GPO is configured to run logon and logoff.

Logon:

pastedImage_1.png

Logoff:

pastedImage_2.png

I wonder if this issue is also a result of the order of the logoff tasks.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

Can you share the log files (for both SyncTool and FlexEngine (at log level DEBUG)) for a session where the user reset the settings for an RDSH app? If you'd rather send them to me via a direct message, that is also fine.

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Sorry for the delay, I have attached the logs.

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

Thank you for the log files.

In FlexEngine.log, I see:

2017-12-21 13:57:05.858 [INFO ] Found flagged profile archive 'C:\Users\testU\AppData\Local\VMware UEM\FlexSync\Profile Archives\Applications\RDS\Chrome.zip.flag' -- skipping export for config file 'C:\Users\testU\AppData\Local\VMware UEM\FlexSync\General\Applications\RDS\Chrome.INI'.

so I assume the Chrome settings were reset with the Self-Support Tool?

In FlexSyncTool.log, I see shortly afterwards:

2017-12-21 13:57:06.999 [INFO ] REMOVE: Applications\RDS\Chrome.zip (remote)

which means that the SyncTool found a remote Chrome.zip but noticed that there no longer was a local one (as it was removed by the Self-Support Tool, and not recreated by FlexEngine at logoff due to the .zip.flag file), so it "syncs that change" by removing the remote profile archive.

To me this looks the way it should be – are you seeing any issues with this?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Correct Chrome settings were reset using the Self-Support tool.

It removes chrome.zip locally but it doesn't remove it from the remote share, which is what I'm looking to resolve.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But the SyncTool log indicates that it removes the file:

2017-12-21 13:57:06.999 [INFO ] REMOVE: Applications\RDS\Chrome.zip (remote)

How does the RDSH session feature in all of this? Could it be the case that session was still active while the user logged of from their desktop, and a subsequent logoff of the RDSH session created a new profile archive on the share?

Do you have the FlexEngine log file for the RDSH session that corresponds with the logs you sent previously?

0 Kudos
deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried enabling directlfex to ensure that it only imports\exports configurations when the application is closed to test that out but getting the same results.

I deleted my remote profile to test this out so I will not have the corresponding results.

Let me re-run the tests.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi deep184,

So indeed, this is not a sync issue, but the result of multiple exports caused by concurrent sessions:

Laptop skips export because settings were reset using Self-Support Tool:

2017-12-22 11:24:24.030 [INFO ] Found flagged profile archive 'C:\Users\testU\AppData\Local\VMware UEM\FlexSync\Profile Archives\Applications\RDS\Chrome.zip.flag' -- skipping export for config file 'C:\Users\testU\AppData\Local\VMware UEM\FlexSync\General\Applications\RDS\Chrome.INI'.

This causes the SyncTool on the laptop to remove the remote profile archive:

2017-12-22 11:24:25.343 [INFO ] REMOVE: Applications\RDS\Chrome.zip (remote)

But because the RDSH session is logged off a little later, a second export takes place:

2017-12-22 11:24:53.406 [INFO ] Exporting profile using config file 'Chrome.INI' (\\filer\UEMProfiles_Windows10\UEMConfigurations\General\Applications\RDS\Chrome.INI)

Basically, if you have concurrent sessions, you're pretty much always going to end up in a "last write wins" scenario. This can be mitigated somewhat by enabling DirectFlex for your apps, but that's still no guarantee (and it is also not a solution for Chrome, as that really needs to be exported at logoff).

For cases like this, I think the best approach is to decide on which device/platform you want to be "in the lead", and use conditions on the other platforms to only import the settings, and skip the export (using the When matched and Otherwise dropdowns at the bottom of the Conditions tab).

Maybe ijdemes and Pim_van_de_Vis have something to add?

deep184
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you so much for looking through those logs. I only enabled directflex for Chrome as a test. When I get back into work I will try setting the condition for server 2012 when matches import/export otherwise only import because the rds app are hosted on the server. I also noticed by doing rsop that another UEM gpo is being applied to the desktop which also runs the log off flexengine script. I wonder if this is causing the issue and now I need to figure out how to block this policy. Thanks again!