VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

UEM Licensing and Physical desktops

I have a situation where we need to utilize UEM and Appvol for our VDI environment but there is a snag since most of the Docs utilize physical desktops as well.  We typically have the users Home directory set in AD and a login script for Drive and printer mappings.  If we utilize UEM, can we put UEM on the desktop and how does that affect licensing?  We are licensed with concurrent users. In order for this to work for us i need to be able to put this on all desktops (100+).  Can we install UEM on all the physical desktops without a licensing issue?? 

Thank you, Perry
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Perry,

I'm afraid that's exactly what it is: a legal question 🙂

As for your technical (:-) question: yes, UEM behaves just the same on physical as it does on VDI. Of course, a few of the conditions won't be available on physical, and you do need to provide a license file, but that's about it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Super6VCA,

I'm afraid such a legal question is outside the scope of this technical forum 🙂 I'll try to find an answer internally, but if you have a VMware account manager that you could ping on this, that might be faster... 🙂

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I understand where you are coming from.  Wasn't really trying to make it a legal question just didn't want to go above my limit.  One other question if i may.  Will the physical computer act teh same way as a VM with UEM??

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It works, but I'd second the check with your account manager. It works the same as a virtual machine, and there are even some special considerations when you deploy them, like not using the delete local profile on logoff setting. My understanding is that also counts against your concurrent user count.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Perry,

I'm afraid that's exactly what it is: a legal question 🙂

As for your technical (:-) question: yes, UEM behaves just the same on physical as it does on VDI. Of course, a few of the conditions won't be available on physical, and you do need to provide a license file, but that's about it.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Got it!!  Thanks for the reply!

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm not a legal guy and this answer is as is but we had the same question regarding UEM.

The concurrent use is tied up to your Horizon View license (my guess is enterprise? Because you have UEM?) so you are not allowed to install UEM on a physical device with these licenses. If you are going to use UEM on physical machines you will need to purchase a license for that.

If you were to move from physical to virtual I believe (but still ask your account manager) that you can use it to export settings of of your physical devices and import into your VDI machines but that's it. So looking at your use case with 100+ physical devices you will need to buy licenses for those machines.