VMware Horizon Community
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM IE Proxy Config

I have multiple Proxy Appliances across multiple sites so 1 per Site. I want to be able to have a user login to a VM and be assigned a Proxy Configuration in IE with a condition Set of their ip Address. I have configured User Environment "Registry Settings" with the following configuration below, but when i login with a user on a vm with UEM its not pushing the configuration to the VM, any ideas here or any ideas how i can accomplish this in another way ?

Registry Configuration for one Subnet Condition Set

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001

"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001

"ProxyHttp1.1"=dword:00000000

"ProxyServer"="proxy-01"

"ProxyOverride"="<local>"

Condition Set

EndPoint ip addres is in range x-x

OR

EndPoint ip addres is in range x-x

Thanks Smiley Happy

13 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

Have you tried using the UEM ADMX based settings to configure the proxy server?

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not, i just went directly for modifying the registry w/ condition sets.

How do i setup UEM ADMX based settings do i need to download a Template ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HartmutEhl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IE can be a little bit tricky here.

Are you sure that the setting were not applied at all?

We saw that it was necessary to set the values in

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections]

too.

0 Kudos
Protegimus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, where would I find a reference example on how to do this please?

In the meantime, registry entries as per advice is working though I'm wondering what the advantage is over using a native GPO?

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If I remember, configuring proxy settings via GP is a Preference - there is no ADMX setting to do it anymore.

That means doing it as a reg update via UEM is the way to go, though I think you need to use the Endpoint IP address condition rather than IP Address.

To check if the settings are being pushed, you can either check the registry manually, or look in the users FlexEngine.log. If you don't have debug enabled, just temporarily create a FlexDebug.txt file in the same folder as flexengine.log to enable it for that user - it should tell you exactly why it failed to import the settings.

EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We use a GPO Registry Preference much like you but found that the settings do not apply immediately, it takes a launching of the Internet Settings applet and then the settings get read from the keys you included and then written in binary into this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections

DefaultConnectionSettings

So we use a computer where these settings have been applied, gather the biniary string from the registry, remove the ","'s and push it to the vm's via GPO Registry Preference along with the other keys.

0 Kudos
Pieter_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I am using at customers is the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"AutoConfigURL"=http://locationtothepacfile/proxy.pac

The values below will control the proxy server if you dont use a PAC file.

"ProxyServer"="http://ProxyServername:80"

"ProxyOverride"="<local>"

This can be targeted by conditions and this is how we distribute multiple pac file settings to different sets of computers.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Pieter_S,

That's interesting, where do I set the Proxy server Config you listed in the UEM Console?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Pieter_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would place these settings in the Registry settings on the User Environment tab.

At my current customer we have multiple proxy.pac configurations and based on a conditionset the right pac file reference will be applied.

When using a proxyserver in the config you can do the same. Make sure you block this setting by policy so users cannot edit this settings. UEM will insert these settings in the current user profile and they will overrule the policy.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you need to import the ADMX file to control the IE proxy with the flex engine on the vms? thanks

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

no need for ADMX files, just use the regular UEM 'registry' option to set the correct registry keys and values.

0 Kudos
HartmutEhl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

maybe helpful:

Registry Key : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\

REG_DWORD AutoDetect = 0 or 1

Enabled by Default, the Web Proxy Auto Discovery (WPAD)  protocol is used.

can be set to 0 if Auto discovery is not necessary

hth

0 Kudos
ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi, 

is IE proxy settings similar to Windows 10 > settings > Network and Internet> Proxy ? i am looking to save the second

0 Kudos