VMware Horizon Community
Gezmonder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM High Availability

What's the deal with making UEM highly available? According to this article only the config share is supported by DFS-R and even that comes with some caveats. Is Microsoft Clustering or a Unified Storage Appliance set-up the only options?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌Hi,

no, DFS is just an easy example you could use. If you have your own solution, provided by your storage provider, you could also use that one. UEM is working with normal fileshares.

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
Gezmonder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So does UEM support DFS-R then? ProfileUnity does; it recommends using the Netlogon share by default for config data but can use any DFS share for profile or config, so why doesn't UEM support it? (or does it)

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

Hi,

You can use any HA, DR or scalability option you like: Failover Clustering, DFS, storage replication offered by you SAN or NAS and even Robocopy scripts.

DFS-Namespace is fully supported, DFS-Replication is supported with the same limitations that apply to Roaming Profiles.

That's because DFS-R does not have a conflict resolution mechanism. DFS-R simply stops replicating on conflicts.

If users never logon to multiple PC's or sessions at the same time, a conflict cannot happen in theory. In that case you can use DFS-R without problem for UEM.

I'm interested to know what recommendations ProfileUnity does. Can you point me to the documentation where you are refering to?

0 Kudos
LFC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but its very relevant to what I am trying to achieve. My customer wants two DC's configured with CloudPod.

My initial thought on how to handle UEM is to use DFS-R to replicate the UEM Config and Archive shares between the two DC's to ensure a consistent experience for the users.

It seems DFS-R is not supported for the Archive share. How to large companies with multiple instances of Horizon / UEM handle UEM archives?

Thanks

Sean

0 Kudos