VMware Horizon Community
mvftw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UEM 9.8 Console. Can you have 2 Consoles?

Newbie... I inherited a UEM 9.8 Console running on Win 7. I don't want to do anything to that computer (not just yet). Can I just run another UEM 9.8 Console on Win 10 and point it to the same folder share and export/import the settings? I don't want to disturb anything.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @mvftw,

You can indeed install the Management Console on another computer and point it to the same share.

Just to make sure, based on your "I don't want to disturb anything" statement: any change you'll make through that newly installed Management Console will be picked up by the DEM agents that are configured to that share...
So it's not so much about being careful with doing anything to that original Win 7 machine; it's really about the contents of the configuration share.

If you want to become acquainted with DEM without any risk of breaking anything currently running in production, I'd suggest to create a small test setup (one VM with the Management Console and file share, and one or two VMs with the DEM agent, for instance.) You can just copy over the contents of your production share to your test share.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @mvftw,

You can indeed install the Management Console on another computer and point it to the same share.

Just to make sure, based on your "I don't want to disturb anything" statement: any change you'll make through that newly installed Management Console will be picked up by the DEM agents that are configured to that share...
So it's not so much about being careful with doing anything to that original Win 7 machine; it's really about the contents of the configuration share.

If you want to become acquainted with DEM without any risk of breaking anything currently running in production, I'd suggest to create a small test setup (one VM with the Management Console and file share, and one or two VMs with the DEM agent, for instance.) You can just copy over the contents of your production share to your test share.

0 Kudos
mvftw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Demdev,

Thanks for the reply. My plan is to turn off the Win 7 computer. So I can use the Win 10 console computer going forward with UEM 9.8. I do plan on upgrading to DEM, but one step at a time.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @mvftw,

Sounds good. Not to rush you, but as an FYI: UEM 9.8 reaches end of general support on July 2. It will continue to work just fine, of course, but GSS would probably have you upgrade to a supported version if you were to reach out to them. We're happy to help on this forum, of course 😉