VMware Horizon Community
system32AUT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM 9.3 with Windows 1803 Enterprise

Hi There, we have some unexpectet issues with UEM 9.3 and Windows 1803 Enterprise:

-) First Logon: Some links on the Desktop are not set which works under 1709 fine.

-) Every Logon: The UEM Login/Logff Display is not shown any more (VMware UEM Status windows) which works under 1709 fine.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Dominik

Tags (1)
13 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi Dominik,

Haven't tried Windows 10 v1803 with UEM and Horizon, because it is not yet supported.

UEM --> Software Requirements

Horizon --> VMware Knowledge Base

This could be issues that are fixed in a release that does support Windows 10 v1803.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
system32AUT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ijdemes, thanks for that answer and informatik which we are well know already Smiley Happy

Do you have any Information about an UEM Update in the future ? When and what will be updatet, any new functions?

Thanks a lot

Dominik

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Sorry, no I don't have any information. And even if I have information I'm not allowed to publicly talk about it until an official release.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Dominik,

The next release of UEM will officially support Windows 10 Version 1803. I know when it will be released and what it will contain, but I can't tell you either, sorry 🙂 You won't have to wait too long, though.

I'd like to hear more about the issues you're seeing with 9.3, however.

• Is there anything special about those desktop shortcuts that don't work? What do they point to? Anything in the log file? Are you using folder redirection?
  • Whether the UEM progress dialog is visible really depends on Windows, and I must admit that we don't pay a lot of attention to that any more (for that reason).
    I'm surprised to hear that you can see it during logon, BTW; are you running UEM as a logon script?
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm assuming the updated UEM will be bundled with the Horizon 7.5 release at the end of this month (Unofficial).

I don't work for VMWare, so I can speculate.  😉

It is rather annoying to have the official updates coming so far after Microsoft releases Windows 10 Feature Updates into the wild...

We just have to add the appropriate Group Policies to delay the Feature updates 30-60 days so we can continue with security patching.  

Many companies like to leverage VDI environments to test these new builds for their Dev teams...and so they have to test on unstable/unsupported Windows 10 environments.

It would be nice if VMware had a Beta channel that we could leverage for things like this...and we could help them stabilize their code in the process by finding bugs.  It would be a win win situation.

My 2 Cents.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JohnTwilley,

I'm assuming the updated UEM will be bundled with the Horizon 7.5 release at the end of this month (Unofficial).

UEM 9.4 will indeed ship with Horizon 7.5, but I'll have to leave it at that 🙂

On a more serious note, I certainly get your point, and I'll make sure to raise this internally for UEM. Just out of curiosity: will you be moving to 1803 soon, or is that "just" for testing purposes at the moment?

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I work for a major Hospital, and security is taken very seriously here...so we are always pushing the latest updates out.

That being said, I know the difference between Security Updates and Feature Releases.  We are currently still on Windows 10 1709, but are actively testing 1803.

So to answer your question, YES, just testing it for now.  I just wish that VMware was a little more flexible in the Beta testing category when dealing with Windows 10.

Since Windows 10 is such a "fast moving train", any delays in testing kinda build upon each other, and we eventually will get pretty far behind.

We've got hundreds of applications to test/validate and it sure is easier to do all this in a virtual environment!

system32AUT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dev, its like that... We see async network Folders which are created with Flex = check (ok)

But we didn´t see any links (or broken with failures) on the Desktop or Start Menu which works under 1703/1709 fine.

Here a screenshot from my situation:

pastedImage_20.png

The "IT Tools" Folder should get another Symbol which didnt work and have to get some links in it which aren´t there. Another thing is the "WPM Links" Folder which isn´t on the Desktop at all.

After a logoff and logon the Folder and the links are set correct and exactly how I like it Smiley Happy

I have run a Debug LOG and found on the first logon this error: (xxx = has been anonymized due to privacy considerations)

For the "WPM Links" folder and files:

2018-05-15 15:38:05.254 [DEBUG] Processing predefined settings definition ('wpm links')

2018-05-15 15:38:05.254 [INFO ] No profile archive to import for config file '\\uemconfig-server\uemconfig$\general\WPM Links.INI'

2018-05-15 15:38:05.254 [INFO ] Importing default settings 'WPM Links-UEM-PD-#1.zip' (\\xxx\general\WPM Links-UEM-PD-#1.zip)

2018-05-15 15:38:05.379 [ERROR] ImportFiles::ImportFile: Error 3 getting temp file name in directory '\\xxx\domain.domain.domain\TEDHB$\Profil\Desktop\WPM Links'

2018-05-15 15:38:05.379 [FATAL] Error importing archive '\\xxx\general\WPM Links-UEM-PD-#1.zip'

....after a second login for the "WPM Links" folder :

2018-05-15 15:43:01.415 [DEBUG] Processing predefined settings definition ('wpm links')

2018-05-15 15:43:01.431 [INFO ] No profile archive to import for config file '\\xxx\general\WPM Links.INI'

2018-05-15 15:43:01.431 [INFO ] Importing default settings 'WPM Links-UEM-PD-#1.zip' (\\xxx\WPM Links-UEM-PD-#1.zip)

2018-05-15 15:43:01.540 [DEBUG] Read 4 entries from profile archive (size: 6687; compressed: 3101; took 110 ms; largest file: 1726 bytes; slowest import took 1 ms)

For the "IT Tools" folder and files:

2018-05-15 15:38:03.973 [DEBUG] Processing predefined settings definition ('IT Tools')

2018-05-15 15:38:03.973 [INFO ] Importing fully enforced settings 'IT Tools-UEM-PD-#1.zip' (\\xxx\general\IT Tools-UEM-PD-#1.zip)

2018-05-15 15:38:04.426 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\TEDHB\AppData\Local\Temp\FLX7F6C.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (F/E), r=0)

2018-05-15 15:38:05.238 [DEBUG] Read 30 entries from profile archive (size: 9129666; compressed: 6450822; took 1262 ms; largest file: 4216944 bytes; slowest import took 46 ms)

==> (I found now errors here)

.... after another login for the "IT Tools" folder and files:

2018-05-15 15:43:00.462 [DEBUG] Processing predefined settings definition ('IT Tools')

2018-05-15 15:43:00.462 [INFO ] Importing fully enforced settings 'IT Tools-UEM-PD-#1.zip' (\\xxx\\general\IT Tools-UEM-PD-#1.zip)

2018-05-15 15:43:00.728 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\TEDHB\AppData\Local\Temp\FLX808.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (F/E), r=0)

2018-05-15 15:43:01.415 [DEBUG] Read 30 entries from profile archive (size: 9129666; compressed: 6450822; took 940 ms; largest file: 4216944 bytes; slowest import took 252 ms)

After the second login it looked always good:

pastedImage_15.png

Thanks,

Dominik

0 Kudos
system32AUT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I work at a hospital too Smiley Happy And we have the same ideas here and yes... we have around 500+ Applications and over 6000 Clients - I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for speaking it out.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi John and Dominik,

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest discussing the beta topic with your VMware account managers as well. Like I said, I will raise it internally, but that's just from me as an engineer on UEM. Won't hurt to try and get some more traction by approaching it from multiple sides 🙂

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Dominik,

Thank you for your extensive post.

2018-05-15 15:38:05.379 [ERROR] ImportFiles::ImportFile: Error 3 getting temp file name in directory '\\xxx\domain.domain.domain\TEDHB$\Profil\Desktop\WPM Links'

That is an interesting error... Are you redirecting the Desktop folder using UEM or with standard Windows GPO?

As a test, after a first logon, could you check the non-redirected C:\Users\Username\Desktop folder to see if any files appear there?

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Cool.

UEM 9.4 was released today (Along with Horizon 7.5), with official Windows 10 build 1803 support. 

Happy Testing !

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey JohnTwilley,

You beat me to it... I was just about to post that UEM 9.4 has been released 🙂

0 Kudos