VMware Horizon Community
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

UEM 8.7 - UEM Refresh / Shortcut "Undo at logoff" not working

I'm having difficulty with a UEM deployment no longer applying certain settings on RDSH 2012 R2 desktops. In particular the "Undo at logoff" option on UEM shortcuts. All shortcuts are created in the users Desktop folder, which has been redirected to a separate share..

When a user logs on, the shortcuts are created by UEM as normal; however, they are not removed from the users desktop at logoff. If I manually delete them and run "FlexEngine - UEMRefresh / UEMRefreshShortcuts" they are not recreated. More to the point, because the "Undo at logoff" does not apply, if I remove a user from an AD group assigned as a condition for a shortcut, they still have it when they next log on.

This has been working without issue up until recently. The only change that was made was a reboot of the server hosting the UEMConfig share.

I've also tested the above on an RDSH server without desktop folder redirection, and the same behaviour is present.

Has anyone come across this, or have any advice on what could be the cause?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Is the Desktop redirected? And if so, how do you configure this redirection?

This [ERROR] Async UEM actions or UEM Refresh in progress indicates that UEM is still processing actions in the background and is busy. Could it be that some async actions take a very long time or never complete? Like a script that you run?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just an update - it looks like this could be something to do with the CSE. Group Policy is configured correctly, and I can see the CSE run during logon; however other settings, such as enforced predefined settings, are not applied. If I then run "FlexEngine -r" manually, the missing settings are applied.

I'm also seeing the following in the log file:

[INFO ] Performing UEM refresh [IFP#0284066a-10266e0>>]

[DEBUG] Running as child process of 'explorer.exe' (2356)

[DEBUG]    User: DOMAIN\testuser (A/L), Computer: RDSH-01, OS: x64-win2012r2 (BuildNumber 9600, SuiteMask 10, ProductType 3/7, Lang 0409, IE 11.0.9600.18350, VMware VDM 6.2.2.3508800, ProcInfo 1/2/2/2, UTC+01:00D), PTS: 5160/3456/2

[DEBUG]    Recursively processing config files from path '\\domain.com\UEM\Config$\general'

[DEBUG]    Logging to file '\\domain.comk\UEM\Profiles$\testuser.\FlexEngine.log'

[DEBUG]    Log file will be overwritten when larger than 2048 kilobytes

[ERROR] Async UEM actions or UEM Refresh in progress

[INFO ] Done (7 ms) [<<IFP#0284066a-10266e0]

The async logfile is empty, so I'm not sure what actions are already in progress that could possibly be stopping the refresh from working properly.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm also seeing the following in the async logfile now:

Error 0x80070005 creating UEM shortcut on desktop.

The error code is pretty generic, but seems to indicate an "Access Denied" error at some point. I can browse as the user to the location using DFS UNC, and non-DFS UNC, and have the ability to create and delete files. Event Viewer has no entries to indicate there is a permission problem.This is driving me nuts!

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Is the Desktop redirected? And if so, how do you configure this redirection?

This [ERROR] Async UEM actions or UEM Refresh in progress indicates that UEM is still processing actions in the background and is busy. Could it be that some async actions take a very long time or never complete? Like a script that you run?

alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It was indeed another action that UEM was attempting to complete - UEM was trying to map a printer that required a driver installation. It couldn't complete the mapping due to UAC preventing user installation. The solution for me was to install the driver in our gold image (or disable UAC if your org allows it).

Tracking it down to the printer proved a little more difficult, as nothing in the UEM user logs or UEMResult folder gave us a clue. I ended up creating a test UEM config on a test farm, and manually imported the live UEM config over, folder by folder, until it broke. PITA.

m200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@alsmk2 Thanks for the input, we had the same problem where a printer mapping never completed which in turn broke the UEM User Environment Refresh function.

0 Kudos