VMware Horizon Community
Bubbles68
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp user settings?

We have approximately 30 ThinApp packages which need adding to UEM. However, the user settings are not retained when the cofig files have been put in place. We have used templates from the forum and created our own using app profiler. But the settings will not save or write back to the user’s application profile folder. We have tried FileZilla and Acrobat pro x so far. The only app which saves data is Crystal reports with direct flex disabled. The apps are using merged isolation mode. Can you give any advice on where to start trouble shooting? Log file locations ect.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nhickey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Bubbles68,

I am not sure what version of UEM you are using so forgive me when I share the links to documentation below. Hopefully I can offer a lil help here...

Peter Bjork wrote an awesome blog about using UEM with ThinApp. I think this was back on ThinApp 5.1 & UEM 8.x but I believe not much has changed with how to setup or configure the two products together. His post is here: ThinApp and VMware User Environment Manager (UEM) integration - VMware ThinApp Blog - VMware Blogs

Some of the things to consider are that every app saves its settings differently, some toss them in the registry and others within AppData. The other thing to look at might be the use of DirectFlex for the applications in question, also paying attention to the executable that ThinApp uses for the entry point and using that in UEM too.

As for the Log Locations for UEM

• FlexEngine Logs are saved here: \\Fileserver\UEMprofiles\%username%\Logs\FlexEngine.log
  • FlexEngine Logging can also be pushed to the to the Windows Event Logs, so check that too, if not sure how logs were setup
  • The new Helpdesk Support Tool also has an integrated FlexEngine log file viewer that can be helpful

UEM Install Guide: About Installing and Configuring VMware User Environment Manager

UEM Admin Guide: About VMware User Environment Manager Administration Guide

UEM Helpdesk Support Tool Guide: Helpdesk Support Tool Administration Guide

Hope that some of this helps you get moving in the right direction! Let me know. Smiley Happy

-Nigel

Thanks, Nigel VCIX-DTM @vCenterNerd nigelhickey.com
Bubbles68
Contributor
Contributor

Just discovered  a Thinapp we have been trouble shooting is writing user setting to the root of c. But appdata is empty.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bubbles, try taking a look at this thread -->  Pervasive 9.0

In your case you'll be able to reference a single file, but the concept should be the same.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

VMware UEM only saves settings (file/registry) from the user profile locations.

Also, for DirectFlex in combination with ThinApp applications, specify the executable within the ThinApp, not the name of the ThinApp executable itself.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bubbles68,

I don't know much about ThinApp in general, but I do know that UEM's support for ThinApp has changed quite a bit since Peter Bjork's blog post: since UEM 9.0, we directly support ThinApp packages with DirectFlex, without requiring any isolation mode tweaks. This only supports packages created with ThinApp 5.2 and later, though.

Just discovered  a Thinapp we have been trouble shooting is writing user setting to the root of c. But appdata is empty.

Is this written to the root of C in the native world, or just inside the ThinApp virtual environment? For the former you'd need the workaround of copying files back and forth to supported locations that mellicott  already referred to. Otherwise this should just work out of the box with UEM's native ThinApp support.

Could you provide a bit more detail about the exact UEM configuration settings you're using?

0 Kudos