VMware Horizon Community
MrBeatdown
Contributor
Contributor

Struggles with migrating Folder Redirction off Persona and onto UEM. Something is deleting all the contents of the desktop and download folders.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to UEM and having an extremely tough go of it.

I am in the midst of a migration from Persona management (which was working, albeit poorly) to UEM (9.3.0.804) in hopes of unlocking all manner of shiny new features, more granular control for my users, reduced network overhead and all the greatest things since sliced bread.  Though I seem to have adequately tackled the app settings, I'm running into an unexpected roadblock with folder redirection.

I expected that folder redirection would be one of the most straightforward pieces of the puzzle, and the online resources (VMware Knowledge Base)  and this one https://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/files/2015/09/UEM-Migrations_v3.pdf with a lot more in depth "what to look out for, how do things work" seemed to be pretty straightforward. I already have it configured with persona, I just need to point UEM to the same folder and all's good, right?

The specific problem I'm running into is that after configuring my UEM GPO and applying it to my environment, (including setting folder redirection to specify the remote path that Persona management is already using in the UEM management console), my users log in and are given a blank desktop, with only the shortcuts from the all users folder of clone.  Initially I thought this must mean I'd missed and pointed to a location without information, but then I realized something in the login process is actually wiping the contents of the %username%\Desktop and %username%\downloads folders.

As a workaround I was willing to restore the unexpectedly removed icons from backup, but it turns out that about half of the user logins send these two folders right back to completely empty. That's right, a user login seems to think the thing to do is just remove all the contents of the desktop and downloads folders.  I figure there has to be a blank profile something that UEM is viewing as authoritative, but I don't know where to look for that.  I cranked the UEM logging up to debug and took a look to see if anything stood out, but it looks like the folder redirection is going the way I'd expect it to, with the exception of all the contents occasionally being erased at user login.

I've been digging through the knowledge base and every how-to blog I can find on the subject but no one seems to have experienced this data destroying behavior and I am nearing my wits end. Is this a permissions issue (setting everyone full control doesn't fix it), a configuration issue (I tried following online resources as closely as possible, with the exception of applying the UEM GPO to the computers OU then applying loopback, which broke other things, and applying to the User OU is also a supported configuration), a known but obscure bug with a known solution?  Anything would help at this point.  I'm working with support as a last resort, but anything I am not thinking of would be appreciated.  Anything you might need to help you understand what's going on would be happily provided.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MrBeatdown,

UEM won't remove any files, unless it's told to do so. Just in case: unlike folder redirection through the standard Microsoft GPO route, UEM does not offer to copy or move existing folder content to the new redirected location. Could that explain what you're seeing?

BTW, would you mind continuing our conversation in the UEM forum? I try to keep an eye out for UEM questions in the Horizon forum, but I can't always keep up. Also, maybe some of the other users in the UEM forum have some ideas.

0 Kudos
MrBeatdown
Contributor
Contributor

I understand.  I will move this topic over to the UEM forum.  At first glance I only saw Horizon so I went with that.  Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
MrBeatdown
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted VMWare support to help with the migration from Persona to UEM, and though there seemed to me to be some ambiguity in this KB article regarding the existing persona redirected folders and the new UEM redirected folders, I was assured that the correct thing to do was to point UEM folder redirection to the location that Persona was already using for folder redirection. 

0 Kudos
MrBeatdown
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking in my UEM management console and I don't see anything that seems to imply UEM should be removing any profile information.  I am wondering if it is possible that I should only have EITHER Persona listing the profile redirection path OR UEM listing the profile redirection path?

Similarly I haven't tried getting my test users to log in/log off then disabling Persona for their VM pool, and seeing if that leads to a stable state with ONLY UEM enabled.  This will be my next step unless I get redirected to something that sounds a bit more promising.

Thanks again for being willing to share your knowledge.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MrBeatdown,

Thank you for moving this thread over to the UEM forum.

I am wondering if it is possible that I should only have EITHER Persona listing the profile redirection path OR UEM listing the profile redirection path?

I'm not really familiar with Persona, but you might very well be onto something there. "Step 2, scenario 3" in the KB article that you referenced, states: "move the PM GPO Folder Redirection settings to a UEM Folder Redirection setting".

0 Kudos