VMware Horizon Community
Lurven
Contributor
Contributor

Start Menu not saving changes

Hello!

I have followed this article on how to roam the Start Menu but it does not work: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2150422 

We want users to be able to pin applications in the Start Menu and for this to be persistent between sessions, but it is not saving. Every time a session is recreated, the Start Menu is reset. The solution provided in the article does not work.

How do you save Start Menu changes using DEM?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
onfire247
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a lot of background information missing here (DEM version, Windows version, etc.), but I'll give it a go. In DEM 9.10, there is a predefined Windows Settings option that captures the Windows 10 Start Menu automatically:

StartMenu.PNG

If this option is enabled, it will save a zip file in the user's profile directory that will capture changes as the user makes them.

If you are looking to configure certain default icons, I recommend doing the following:

1. Log into your desktop and configure the Start Menu as you want it for the default profile
  2. Log out to save the Start Menu Win10.zip file (\DEMshare\VMwareDEMUserProfiles\rabrown\Archives\Windows Settings)
  3. Copy that zip file somewhere you can access it with the DEM Management Console
  4. In the DEM Management Console, go to Personalization>Windows Settings>Start Menu Win10>Predefined Settings
  5. Click Add...
    1. Give it a name
    2. Choose Type: Default Settings (gives a default that is user adjustable)
  6. Click Install...
  7. Browse to your zip file and click Open
  8. Click Save to save the predefined setting
  9. Click Save Config File in the top button ribbon to save the above changes
  10. Log into a test desktop and confirm that the Start Menu icons are showing as desired.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like configured:

StartMenu2.PNG