Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Skype issues in VDI not on local laptop

Hello all the smart heads out there...

**************** SYSTEM **************

Horizon agent: 7.3.2 - Instant Clone.

UEM Agent: 9.3.0.804

Appvolume Agent: 2.13.2.13

Skype for business is a problem child in Horizon VDI!

We are running office 365, version 16.0.8431.2107 as we speak.

It might be the wrong forum to post this topic, but since UEM is where we run policyes and deploys settings, i wantet du try it here first.

What we see is within VDI some users are not able to search for co workers, they have to fill inn hole email adress to reach them. Locally on their laptops they are able to type the two/three first letters and then skype pop up suggestions...

Another thing that is a brainkiller and very frustrating for users, is that Skype pop up in front very, very, very often. By policy, skype logs on automaticly at logon, and it starts minimized.

My UEM Configuration:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync

Predefined settings reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]

"Pre"=dword:b0dafda1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"Skype4Business"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\root\\Office16\\lync.exe\" /fromrunkey"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\16.0\Registration]

"AcceptAllEulas"=dword:1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\16.0\Common\TrustCenter]

"TrustBar"=dword:0

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\16.0\Lync]

"IsBasicTutorialSeenByUser"=dword:1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\common\general]

"shownfirstrunoptin"=dword:00000001

"FirstRun"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]

"Post"=dword:7004260c

Any ideas of what to do?

Best regards
Lansti
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I figured it out.

I added you registry setting also, but the main problem is that certified VMware instructors has told me to create appstacks on a clean machine, but that is wrong!

Always create appstacks on a client that is similar to the image you have in production. Same service pack, same applications has to be installed.

When i did that, it solved all my skype issues, all my MS Word issues, and a lot of minor stuff that was annoying!

Happy to get it done right!

Difficult to troubleshoot a skype issue, when the issue was how we was told to provision appstacks...

Best regards
Lansti

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

The searching issue is probably related to the S4B global address book. This GAL needs to be cached and on non-persistent VDI this cache is rebuild every session.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, i know, and i have tried to delete file, and letting the system rebuild a new one, without any luck.

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Have you tried adding this location to the Skype config file for UEM?

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync

That is where the GAL is stored. If you roam that location with UEM, the search issue might be gone. Let me know the results.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, but i already have this setting in UEM config file for Skype.

But i see that my appvolumes maybe a playing with me here. I unmounted an appstack for a user yesterday, and then it seems that search in skype are fine, and skype do not pop up in front every now and then..

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The Skype address book is downloaded on a delay.  I set mine to download immediately, and it helped out quite a bit.

(randomized time between 1-60 mins which is the default)

No Delay for Skype Address Book download:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\Lync]

"GalDownloadInitialDelay"=dword:00000000

lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I figured it out.

I added you registry setting also, but the main problem is that certified VMware instructors has told me to create appstacks on a clean machine, but that is wrong!

Always create appstacks on a client that is similar to the image you have in production. Same service pack, same applications has to be installed.

When i did that, it solved all my skype issues, all my MS Word issues, and a lot of minor stuff that was annoying!

Happy to get it done right!

Difficult to troubleshoot a skype issue, when the issue was how we was told to provision appstacks...

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I do have this problem on and off what I do is i will request user to refresh there VDI and it will fix

I will consider this communication and will act accordingly

Thanks,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Create your appstacks on an image that is the same as your golden image, where you have the same applications installed. It worked fine for us, and my user are very happy.

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos