VMware Horizon Community
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Shortcuts with arguments issue

Hi, when i create a shortcut with an argumment, it will not show up in programsfolder after a reboot.

If i skip argument it will show up.

My argument is:

-MSE ipadress

If i type my argument like this:

"-"MSE ipadress

it works when I run UEM User Environment Refresh

But its gone when I reboot the client.

I have checked both:

"undo at logoff and refresh during shortcut refresh"

"Run asynchronously"

If i check destination "desktop" it appear and works. But i want my shotcut to appear at the startmenu...

Is this a bug or something?

Best regards
Lansti
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What happens when you rename the shortcut to something completely different, like MyTestShortcut? Does it appear then?

pastedImage_0.png

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I never came across that issue, but are you able to provide us the debug log? --> "To increase the log-level for a specific user add create a flexdebug.txt file in the user's folder where the log files are created."

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
HartmutEhl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you already try this without any double quotes?

We use the synctool shortcut as shown in the manual. Arguments contains  -resident -tray

And as described "Run Asynchronously" not checked.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes i have tried the following:

pastedImage_0.pngShotcut do not show up.

pastedImage_1.pngThis works if i now save and refresh, but the shortcut its gone when i restarts the VDI.

I i try " " in the beginning and end of my argument, it do not show up.

If i remove the argument, the shortcut show up.

I have also tried with:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

With no luck.

I know that the Firewall is not yet configured to go to my ipadress that i have in the argment, but a simple shortcut should work and appear anyway.

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi, i tried to create a logfile called: flexdebug.txt in the userprofile\logs area. Logging on an off, without getting any information in the logfile.

I followed this steps: Let’s troubleshoot User Environment Manager (#UEM) 9.X: How to avoid errors during the installation ...  - Log-file basics.

But i have alredy a logfile enabled:  pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

the shortcut i have issues with is:

%programfiles(x86)%\Vizrt\Viz Content Pilot 5.6\VizContentPilot.exe

arguments: -mse ipadress

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
HartmutEhl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you put the target in double quotes?

This could be an issue.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have tried with doulbe, single and with nothing..

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can only see that the log says that the shortcut has been successfully created.

2017-05-04 08:45:02.072 [INFO ] Successfully created UEM shortcut in programs menu ('Viz Content Pilot 5.6.xml')

I tried to reproduce the issue, but it seems to keep working successfully for me using the parameters you provided.

Are you able to provide a full screenshot of the configuration for this shortcut, including conditions?

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

In the VDI it should appear here:

pastedImage_0.png

But a shortcut are already within the Vizrt folder without arguments.

Shortcut deployed to Desktop works, but it is not an alternative.

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What happens when you rename the shortcut to something completely different, like MyTestShortcut? Does it appear then?

pastedImage_0.png

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hmm. it seems that it fails when i use dot in the shortcut name...

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To be honest, I think something else is going on that goes beyond your issue. I believe that it has nothing to do with the arguments in the shortcut. I eventually managed to reproduce the issue. What triggered me is that you mentioned that you already had an existing or different shortcut in a sub folder in the Programs folder. So I created 2 shortcuts to notepad.exe with the same shortcut name to be placed in the Programs folder. One shortcut directly in the Programs folder and the other in a sub folder in the Programs folder. After that I tested the following scenarios.

Important to note: By Programs in the following scenarios, I mean Programs in the Start Menu.

(1) Logon --> Shortcut with sub folder present in Programs, Shortcut without sub folder NOT present in Programs --> NOT WORKING

Disabled the shortcut with sub folder...

(2) Logon --> Shortcut without sub folder present in Programs --> WORKING

For both scenarios I checked the location %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs , and I can see that the shortcuts are present on file level, which makes it very strange. In scenario (1), when I change the shortcut by adding a character, the shortcut is presented in Programs. Also when I create a new shortcut with the same shortcut name, it is presented in Programs.

Something weird is going on. Or at least, something is going on that I can't explain (yet). :smileysilly:

\\ Ivan
---
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

UPDATE: I have the same behaviour using Group Policy Preferences for creating the shortcuts. This seems to be a generic Windows 10 bug.

\\ Ivan
---
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Yep, I can confirm this is how Windows 10 Start Menu works; If you create multiple shortcuts to the same target, only 1 shortcut will be shown.

Not sure if it's a bug or intended.

0 Kudos