VMware Horizon Community
BTiede66
Contributor
Contributor

Saving Pinned Taskbar buttons

I was having trouble getting pinned taskbar items to stick in Windows 7 with redirected desktops and wasn't really finding an answer anywhere online... so when I figured it out I felt like I should share.  This is all handled within UEM:

1) Set up a logoff task to export the taskbar settings and store them in the usershome\user directory with the other appdata, executing it before the profile export. (regedit /e /im \\your-storage\usershome\%username%\taskreg.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband)

2) Created a Registry setting to strip the Windows default taskbar settings and set it to apply before the profile import:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]

"Pre"=dword:86928386

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]

"FavoritesResolve"=-

"Favorites"=-

"FavoritesChanges"=-

"FavoritesVersion"=-

"FavoritesRemovedChanges"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]

"Post"=dword:464c582b

3) Created a logon task to import the registry entry that was exported from the last log off, set to run after the profile import (regedit /i /s \\your-storage\usershome\%username%\taskreg.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband)

4) Created CMD file to force a shell reset and set it as a logon task firing after the profile import. The refresh is necessary, otherwise you just get a blank taskbar.

@echo off

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

It also appeared that the scripts in UEM run in alpha-numeric order, so I’ve numbered them in the order that I’d like them to run, and it works.  Pinned icons are saved and actually come back.

Seems the long way around, but hey, it gets the job done.

Thanks

B

7 Replies
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI,

If you activate the Taskbar Flex Config file under Windows Settings, this will save the users pinned taskbar shortcuts. you also can create Predefined Settings to place pinned shortcuts for all users as a default. i.e. File Explorer, Outlook, IE and ...etc.

UEM022.png

Make sure DirectFlex is disabled.

Mike_A
Pim_van_de_Vis

The answer from Mike is correct and should solve this in the easiest way.

0 Kudos
etamir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Pim & Mike,

I have enabled the taskbar under UEM management console and also verified that DirectFlex is disabled for it.

Yet, the taskar links aren't saved to the UEM profile.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Look at your log for taskbar entries and see what the results are or send us a log to review.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
etamir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike,

The Pinned Taskbar (lower horizontal bar) is now working OK.

We still see 2 issues which we cannot find a solution for:

1. We Don't see the Libraries shortcuts...the below screenshot is how we WANT it to show...but actually what we see is that the Libraries are EMPTY...no sub-folders underneath...(missing Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos...)

this is critical for our users and it was working ok in Persona. The problem is that I do not know why isn't it working.  we thought it should be under AppData\Microsoft\windows\Libraries but it didn't work...the libraries are still empty.

Libraries.png

this is what we have set in the UEM for the for the Menus and the Taskbar..

eum settings.png

taskbar.png

2. Still although the above was configured, once the user erase some of his shortcuts from the startup menu - they re-appear in the next session...meaning this is not getting saved.

startmenue.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated for the 2 above issues...

thanks!

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For the libaries, if your using folder redirection from UEM, you may have to make sure the library pointers are pointing to the redirection location. Look into that.

For the start menu shortcuts not staying removed, you need to make sure the shortcuts are removed from your master image the default user profile or use the UEM Windows Settings\Policy Settings:

User Desktop Acccess.png

This should clear your start menu to allow you to manage the start menu the way you want the users to see or maintain.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
etamir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike,

appreciate that.

We are not using folder Redirection with UEM. and we are not syncing the Desktop for users.

However, I will look into the menu shortcut tip.

Cheers!

0 Kudos