VMware Horizon Community
pieterheijms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Run shortcut hidden

Hi,

Can I run a shortcut in hidden mode? I only see the option "normal window", "minimized" and "Maximized".

We have a few powershell scripts and the script will start an application. I want to run the powershell script in hidden mode and that the powershell script runs / shows the application.

Grtz,

Pieter

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you try the -windowstyle parameter for powershell.exe?

For example:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden -file c:\temp\test.ps1

Depending on your environment you may also need to add the -executionpolicy parameter for powershell.exe.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you directly referring to powershell in the shortcut?

Did you try the "start" command? You can open a command prompt and type "start /?" to see the available parameters.

\\ Ivan
---
0 Kudos
pieterheijms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, the shortcut points directly to powershell.

I did not try start, but I can't use it (not sure), because "start" is a command built into the CMD shell. So I have no idea how to use start to run a hidden powershell window.

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For example:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden -file c:\temp\test.ps1

Depending on your environment you may also need to add the -executionpolicy parameter for powershell.exe.

\\ Ivan
---
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Pieter,

Can I run a shortcut in hidden mode? I only see the option "normal window", "minimized" and "Maximized".

I'm aware that this does not provide a solution to your real question, but just for completeness: DEM supports the same options as Windows itself.

pastedImage_5.png

We have a few powershell scripts and the script will start an application. I want to run the powershell script in hidden mode and that the powershell script runs / shows the application.

Maybe combining Run: Minimized on the (DEM) shortcut (to limit the visibility of PowerShell's console window flashing by) with Ivan's -WindowStyle Hidden suggestion does the trick?

pieterheijms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Now I tried. I still see 1 sec. a black screen, but I don't see code. When I minize this screen it's acceptable.

Thank you for your answer!

pieterheijms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm aware that this does not provide a solution to your real question, but just for completeness: DEM supports the same options as Windows itself.

Yes, I understand. But by the product we use at the moment, this is an option Smiley Happy. We are going to use the option which Ivan suggested..

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So does that product that should not be named Smiley Happy let you create Windows shortcuts that launch their target hidden? Interesting...