VMware Horizon Community
scoop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Run Once and Floating pools

For some reason, when selecting Run Once for say, creating a shortcut on the desktop, UEM wants to run it once per desktop. So the user logs in, gets the shortcut on the desktop. Doesn't want it, so deletes it. Logs back in. If they happen to get the same desktop (unlikely), it will not place the shortcut back, but if they get a different desktop (almost guaranteed), the shortcut comes back. This occurs until they happen to log in to every desktop in the pool. You can see the files in the user's archives folder get created per desktop.

Any way to have it behave with more sense, and run it once per user?

View 7.2

Uem 9.2.1

Thanks for any tips!

Thomas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi scoop,

I assume you're using local profiles? UEM's "run once" logic for local profiles doesn't really match with non-persistent scenarios like the one you describe.

The Local User Profiles File and Folders RunOnce Issue thread describes how you can fix this by manually adding the runOnceSpecial="1" attribute. This changes UEM's behavior from checking whether the action has already been performed on this particular machine, to checking whether it has already been performed on any machine.

We'll consider a more structural (and less manual...) fix, but can't say anything yet about a time line for that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi scoop,

I assume you're using local profiles? UEM's "run once" logic for local profiles doesn't really match with non-persistent scenarios like the one you describe.

The Local User Profiles File and Folders RunOnce Issue thread describes how you can fix this by manually adding the runOnceSpecial="1" attribute. This changes UEM's behavior from checking whether the action has already been performed on this particular machine, to checking whether it has already been performed on any machine.

We'll consider a more structural (and less manual...) fix, but can't say anything yet about a time line for that.

0 Kudos
scoop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry yes I am using writable volumes with UIA+Profile, and folder redirecting the main directories to a file server (docs, desktop, etc).

The user's directory will not yet exist prior to logging on, so I don't think this would work well for us, at least initially. Could be useful for subsequent Run Once actions but as you say, pretty manual process.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The user's directory will not yet exist prior to logging on, so I don't think this would work well for us, at least initially. Could be useful for subsequent Run Once actions but as you say, pretty manual process.

I'm not quite sure I understand. What do you mean by "The user's directory will not yet exist prior to logging on"?

Or maybe I do understand 🙂 The runOnceSpecial="1" attribute is something you would have to add to the UEM item's configuration file, not to any user-specific file. So in your shortcut example, you would open up \\server\share\General\FlexRepository\Shortcut\yourshortcut.xml in a text editor, and add the runOnceSpecial="1" attribute.

Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

The steps you need to take are also described in this KB:

Run Once option behave differently in combination with a Local User Profile (2146336)

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2146336