VMware Horizon Community
bvi2006
Contributor
Contributor

Run Flexengine as group policy extension does not exist in the GPO

hi, I have seen documentation to set the Run Flexengine as group policy extension in the Flexengine GPO. It does not exist as far as I can see, has it be removed? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@bvi2006 , with release 2111, VMware removed the requirement for configuring Group Policy client-side extension to launch the FlexEngine. They also removed the requirement of configuring logoff scripts.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Dynamic-Environment-Manager/2111/rn/VMware-Dynamic-Environment-Man...

0 Kudos
bvi2006
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I was looking there because DEM is not even executed when the user logs on. There is no profile created, or anything. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you upgrading DEM or is this a first-time install?

0 Kudos
bvi2006
Contributor
Contributor

It is a first time install - I am replacing the old one.

I really do think the permissions on the folders are correct, the GPO is linked... 

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Take a look at https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/dynamic-environment-manager-configuration#permissions-for-the-c... This article gives guidelines to your first-time install.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

An alternative I wanted to add is you can use the no ad mode as well, which removes the reliance on group policy all together.

Install FlexEngine in NoAD Mode (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
TheX666
Contributor
Contributor

That has the old settings in it, if you are setting up 2111 or newer that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @bvi2006,

As @mrkasius already mentioned, we got rid of the Group Policy client-side extension in DEM 2111. That change only affects how the DEM agent gets launched during logon; it's still possible to configure it via Group Policy settings.

The Run FlexEngine as Group Policy Extension policy setting has been renamed: it's now called Run FlexEngine at Logon and Logoff.

0 Kudos
sp20
Contributor
Contributor

is there any chance you could update your documentation on this? I have spent quite a while googling why I was missing this group policy as your main installation guides still refer to it (as do your YouTube guides)  Configuring the FlexEngine Group Policy Object (vmware.com)

0 Kudos