VMware Horizon Community
alexhselene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Roaming specific APPDATA folders

Hi all, recently we have been adding optimizations via UEM 9.6 to enhance our user experience. One such enhancement that has been requested is to roam application settings for a specific set of users. These users access a PDF viewer called NitroPro. In the application itself, there is an option to add a signature line and other customization settings. These settings are not being roamed from session to session because they are stored in %AppData%\Nitro--and we do not roam these settings by default.

I would like to roam just this specific folder for just these specific users, but Folder Redirection does not seem to offer a solution. When selecting "Roaming AppData" it brings all or nothing. Now this does work, but we don't want to bring anything besides the specific folder. I know I can restrict the users this applies to via ConditionSet, so that isn't the problem.

I tried a different method by creating a Config File under the Personalization tab for NitroPro, and then adding the following settings:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\Roaming\Nitro

But this also does not seem to work. Upon re-log the settings are lost, and I can see that there is no AppData directory in the profile store. Any help or suggestions as to how to get these settings roamed?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Replace

<AppData>\Roaming\Nitro

With

<AppData>\Nitro

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\Nitro

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sujayg15
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi.. you could try the below example to fine-tune your per-app inclusion/exclusion, found under the IMPORT/EXPORT for the target Application under the DEM Personalization tab.

Example:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\App2

<LocalAppData>\App2

[ExcludeIndividualFolders]

<AppData>\App2\TMP

[ExcludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\App2\olkaddritem.officeUI

fine-tune between <AddData> and <LocalAppData> and filter based on the above example.

And then use Conditions/Condition Sets to filter which user gets what experience at a per-application level.

alexhselene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already tried that, by roaming <AppData>\Roaming\Nitro and it still does not retain ANY settings. It doesn't even create the folder structure so I know it isn't even trying.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've been looking to do the same thing with the Adobe license cache

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Replace

<AppData>\Roaming\Nitro

With

<AppData>\Nitro

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\Nitro

dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adobe

<AppData>\Adobe

sujayg15
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you tried using a ProcMon or other File Monitoring tool to see where files and settings are getting stored.

- Also if there are files in %AppData%\Nitro and it's not getting captured that would be something to check as to why that is.

- Are you able to capture settings from other Apps configured in DEM.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi alexhselene,

As dbrutus already stated: the <AppData> folder token corresponds with %AppData%, so if Nitro Pro stores its settings in %AppData%\Nitro, the Personalization config file should reference that as <AppData>\Nitro, without Roaming.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to clarify, this goes into "Roaming AppData" box in Folder Redirection? Do I put it into subfolder or fully-qualified path?

0 Kudos
alexhselene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dbrutus​ got it right. This solved my issue. Thank you all for the input!

0 Kudos