VMware Horizon Community
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Roam Default applications with UEM Windows 10 1067

I have been trying find a way with UEM so our users can select a default browser and it will be retained after logging off a floating desktop. We have it currently set to IE11 in the default image. Just wanted to check if anyone has gotten this working. I have read a few posts and I have not been successful. Here is what I am syncing with UEM.

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This ended up being a very odd bug in UEM that I worked on with support. UEM defined desktop shortcuts caused the issue. It was a specific type of shortcut like a URL and it had something to do with us using folder redirection to the desktop. Either way moved the desktop icons to the machine GPO and now I could roam the default application changes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

Have you seen this thread?

Re: Windows 10 Default Apps

0 Kudos
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This ended up being a very odd bug in UEM that I worked on with support. UEM defined desktop shortcuts caused the issue. It was a specific type of shortcut like a URL and it had something to do with us using folder redirection to the desktop. Either way moved the desktop icons to the machine GPO and now I could roam the default application changes.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Justin_Y,

Happy to hear that your issue was resolved. I'd be interested to know more about this support case – would you mind sharing the case number (either in this post or privately)?

0 Kudos
jordanht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DEMdev

Justin_Y

This old thread may have just saved me. We have the same config and the same problem. I removed a couple URL shortcut creation tasks in DEM and now the default browser selection persists. However, the default email app will not stick. Did you experience that as well? I realize it could be a different problem but I am wondering if the DEM development team investigated this issue?

0 Kudos
jamorris27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure why Microsoft insists on defaulting their applications the way they do.  I am very familiar with this error, and it seems to be worse in Windows 10 20H2.  Has anyone run into this issue on steroids in the latest update of Windows 10?

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What issue do you have specifically with Win10 20H2? And which version of DEM are you using?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos