VMware Horizon Community
Bufordx10
Contributor
Contributor

Revit questions here

Hi all, I'm new to instant clones and App Volumes. I'm working on setting up AutoCAD, NavisManage, and Revit 2018-2020 AppStack which is taking a while but I'm curious if there are any tips or recommendations out there? I know Revit uses a local file cache how does that work does the Gold Image need to accommodate that space requirement or do I need to hand out a writable large enough for it? Some of our Revit users are working on a massive BIM 360 Design project that takes up a large amount of space and I'm trying to get ahead of that issue. Thanks, Andy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Andy,

Just to make sure: you posted your question in the Dynamic Environment Manager forum. Although there are definitely people in this forum who are familiar with App Volumes and Instant Clones, you probably will have better luck in the VMware Horizon® or VMware App Volumes™ forum.

0 Kudos
Bufordx10
Contributor
Contributor

I will ask it there as well but DEM OR UEM will pick up this Revit local cache as its default location is AppData\Local\Autodesk unless people change or exclude that?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bufordx10,

If that folder is something you want/need to keep between sessions, you can create a Personalization config file in DEM/UEM with the following content:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Autodesk

Bufordx10
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've added that folder already to UEM. I'm about to start testing hopefully next week. I just see a possible issue we have some users with 16GB of Revit Cache files located there I'm assuming this will have a negative effect on performance.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bufordx10,

Umm, yeah, you're assuming correctly Smiley Happy

DEM/UEM is not meant to manage files of such a size – do you really need to maintain that cache across sessions?

0 Kudos