VMware Horizon Community
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Registry key not applying

I'm trying to set a registry key using DEM, but it's not getting applied. The flexengine log says it gets applied successfully, and if I run the .reg key manually it works. I have it set to apply after importing profile. Any ideas?

Tried "HideNewOutlookToggle"=dword:0000001

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]
"Pre"=dword:b0dafda1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\General]
"HideNewOutlookToggle"=dword:1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]
"Post"=dword:7004260c

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@bjohn 

Are you by any chance using FSLogix containers for Office data (either in Userprofile containers or Office Data containers)?

There's an issue that the DEM registry settings are indeed applied, but then "overwritten" by the Outlook settings that are read from the FSLogix container. It only happens with some specific settings apparently...

That's why it works when you run it manually afterwards, because then, the FSLogix settings are already imported.

The workaround is to run it either manually or as a logon task with a delay so it gets applied after FSLogix has processed its container data. Once the reg key is applied after the FSLogix processing, it will also be saved in the FSLogix container during logoff, so the next logon the key will be read from the FSLogix container.

(pinging @DEMdev@Pim_van_de_Vis  to see if there's any update on this?)

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Mickeybyte 

Yes, we are using Office containers.

Thanks for this info/workaround.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Mickeybyte 

When you say logon task with delay, you are not talking about a feature in DEM, are you?

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@bjohn 

Yes & No 😉

You can use logon tasks from DEM, but you have to built-in the delay in your script because DEM doesn't have that option. 

Or you can use a GPO to create a scheduled task run during logon and then (I think) you can specify a delay before running the task.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.