VMware Horizon Community
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Regarding outlook cache .OST file redirecting to network share?

Hi Team,

I am trying to use outlook 2013 in a cache mode on floating desktops.

I am using UEM, app volumes and network share to make it work.

My problem is, I can't able to redirect my .OST file to network share. ever I am working on ADMX configuration

I can see there is one XML file on network share but I can't see the .OST file and it is sill located in default location something like this 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\............'

please help me out on this issue.

10 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

This blog describes how to put the OST in a Writable Volume:

https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2016/08/app-volumes-user-environment-manager-managing-ost-files.html

You can also put the OST on a network share, use the same steps in the blog, only configure the UEM ADMX bases settings to put the OST on the network location: \\server\share\etc.

Make sure to follow these quidelines from Microsoft if you want to store OST files on the network:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/297019/limits-to-using-personal-folders-.pst-files-over-lan...

You don't need a Writable Volume in that case.

Aaron206
Contributor
Contributor

Sravan,

I gave up trying to use the AMDX, there is something that conflicts with the ADMX and the Office 2016 customization tool when I installed office...

- When I installed office in my golden image, i ran it local, did a full install but used a customization

Here's what I did -

Setup a 2016 custom install, that creates no outlook profile, and set a ADMX/gpo to auto create the mail profile based on the users domain.

My simple script -

net use B: \\horizonvdi.domain.local\horizonost /Persistent:Yes

mkdir B:\%username%.%userdomain%\ITPool\2016\Ost

mklink /D "c:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" "B:\%username%.%userdomain%\ITPool\2016\Ost"

This will -

1. map a "B" drive to a remote file share on a 2012 clustered file server just for VDI (Nimble All Flash array)

2. Makes a directory - this is important as the symbolic link can not be created until the directory exists, and will NOT create it for you

3. Creates a symbolic link for the users local OST location to this remote location.

I have this working with no issues for 85 users and will scale it much higher soon.

I use UEM between both physical and VDI, so in physical, the OST stays local script doesnt need to re point the local OST)

UEm will import the "mail profile" and point to the "local" (Symbolic linked) OST location

I tried to use the writable volume JUST for the OST, but VMware could not provide me an a working solution on how to JUST redirect a OST.

The article referenced is not a working solution for what you or I wanted to do, and it adds time to logon to mount the appvolume.

I kinda gave up on appvolumes as they just dont provide the user a good clean environment, and are a nightmare to undo down the road.

I still have issues in tests activating office 2016, IF i stack on an additional app (like add visio in an appvol, when office is in the golden image)

I do love UEM though!

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi Pim,

As expected, Thanks for providing information for me again!!

Yes, I am aware of it and implemented it in my environment and I am getting one pop-up which is shown in below screen.

outlookerror.PNG

Please let me know how to block/stop it from pop-up on user machine with the help of UEM

note: it is seeing by user when ever they launch outlook

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Wow, Thank you so much Aaron, for a brief comment/guide.

So you installed outlook/office on gold image?

ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using AppVolumes 2.12? Because my colleague had the same Office 2013 problem (configuring error) you had and it was solved when using version 2.12.

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

some extra info:

Installing and Using Microsoft Office Products with VMware App Volumes 2.x (2146035) | VMware KB

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi ArroM, I am using AppVolumes 2.11, how can I fix this issue in 2.11 because we are not moving to 2.12

0 Kudos
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know how to fix this in 2.11. Maybe you can ask in the AppVolumes community.

But you should really move to 2.12, this contains a lot of bug fixes and just works 100% better.

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
cheksilv
Contributor
Contributor

You've pretty much got two choices:

1) Disable local caching.  If you turn this off, everything roams ok.  The downside is there's no local copy at all, Outlook only downloads message headers as-needed and full messages when you go to open that specific email.  With hosted exchange this is a nightmare as any hiccup in connectivity to the external server = no email access at all.

2)Enable local caching with folder redirection.  This means every new PC they log into with a new local copy of the profile needs to pull down that 20 gigs of email they never bother to delete.  This is also less than ideal, especially considering it's hosted exchange and you dont want them murdering your bandwidth.  The upside is that it's a one-time thing, so if it's a situation where one person is regularly moving between the same two or three PCs, you can pull down the bulk of their email on first setup and then it just updates the current stuff when they actually log in.

Technical method is not an easy task. If you face any issue with this method then you can also try Softaken OST to PST converter

0 Kudos
mwarsi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I have deployed this in production using UEM and it is working fine. OST is redirected to Network profile share. No Writable volume used.

I have written a blog for the same https://cloudvillage.in/index.php/2018/12/10/configure-ost-redirection-to-redirected-home-drive-usin... 

hope this will help you, 

0 Kudos