VMware Horizon Community
dmuligan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Redirect folder located in C:\Data

Hi,

I have an application in a VDI environment that saves data on C:\Data, is it possible with UEM to export this folder and its content to make it "romaing".

I want to use instant clones functionality and prevents my from doing it.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, we've done this with great success.

pastedImage_4.png

The pre-export here is XCOPY "c:\program files\GVAS\ole*.grd" "%appdata%\GVAS\" /y

The post-import is xcopy "%appdata%\GVAS\ole*.grd" "c:\program files\GVAS\" /y

Then I simply UEM %appdata%\GVA as normal.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, we've done this with great success.

pastedImage_4.png

The pre-export here is XCOPY "c:\program files\GVAS\ole*.grd" "%appdata%\GVAS\" /y

The post-import is xcopy "%appdata%\GVAS\ole*.grd" "c:\program files\GVAS\" /y

Then I simply UEM %appdata%\GVA as normal.

0 Kudos
janasrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found your solution for preserving data from locations like c:\program files (x86)\xyx, but I don't seem to be having any success in getting it to work.  We have a Cisco application that saves data in c:\program files (x86)\Cisco\Desktop\Config.

I created a pre and post User Environment configuration. In order to do that, I had to go to the DirectFlex tab and "enable directflex for this config file". I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be using as the executable in the this case? I've specified explorer.exe - but not sure if it should be that or something else? I also set the ExportMoment to "Export at logoff"

Export:      XCOPY "c:\program files (x86)\cisco\desktop\config\*.*" "%appdata%\CiscoCad\" /y

Import:     XCOPY "%appdata%\CiscoCad\" "c:\program files (x86)\cisco\desktop\config\*.*" /y

I assumed in your example that "GVAS" was specific to your environment, so I just changed mine to "CiscoCad".

The last line of your solution states: "then I simply UEM %appdata%\GVA as normal".  Guess I don't understand what that means?? 

I'd appreciate any additional insight you can provide this UEM newbie!

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Janasrs,

try the below commands and provide feedback.

Export:      XCOPY "c:\program files (x86)\cisco\desktop\config" "%appdata%\CiscoCad" /y /s /q

Import:     XCOPY "%appdata%\CiscoCad" "c:\program files (x86)\cisco\desktop\config" /y /s /q

Note:

/S           Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.

/Q           Does not display file names while copying.

/Y           Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an existing destination file.

Regards,

Vkmr.

janasrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Attempted that with no change to the outcome. I do see that an .ini file is being created for this in the UEM_config\general\Applications directory:

pastedImage_1.png

I see no reference to "Cisco CAD agent" in the UEM_profiles\USERNAME\archives\Applications folder (I'm assuming it would be stored here).

In the flexengine.log, I do see the following:

2017-11-16 08:31:25.615 [DEBUG] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\156.98.45.106\UEM_Config\General\Applications\Cisco CAD agent.INI'.

There are no other references or explanations as to why its not occurring.

I also changed the configuration slightly, so that instead of identifying the .exe as explorer.exe, I actually specified the Cisco executable that is run. Fired up the application, shut it down, yet no change.

Finally, I modified the group policy setting so that DirectFlex should show notifications - but I see nothing during logon or logoff:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah, I am trying this solution to work on my testing environment at lab but looks it was not working

mellicott @any idea with this issue

Regards,

Vkmr.

janasrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it all resolved tonight - what a learning experience!

I will capture all screen and related items and post as soon as I'm able so that it might help someone else avoid all the frustrations I encountered during this process. .

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Janasrs,

I guess you figured out that you needed to add your folder to the Import/Export tab?

pastedImage_0.png

Also. directflex would need to be on a Cisco related program, ciscocad.exe or something similar?

Cheers,

Martin

janasrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes -I did eventually figure out both those aspects of the configuration.

The other problem was the syntax of the XCOPY commands.  Eventually realized (by manually executing the XCOPY statements on the linked clone), that XCOPY wasn't clear on whether it was copying to a File or Folder. I had to add the /i switch to the XCOPY commands for it to work properly (otherwise it was prompting to make the choice, which doesn't do much good when you can't see it!).

This seems to be working well - now on to printer mapping issues. That's definitely not working as expected.

janasrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response!

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Janasrs,

Thanks for update

for printers can you open new thread under UEM so that we can discuss on it? [is there any printer drivers dependence's?]