VMware Horizon Community
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question on profiles

Hi to everyone,

we are trying to move away form roaming profiles and also persona and I started testing uem on a physical computer and also on a view pool.

So far results are pretty good and looks promising however there are a few things I don t understand and I don tknow how to get them right.

When I log in view I get my background, my favorites, my files  ... But Lync doesn t start automatically, I have to launch it and it kicks in as Skype for business like if it was the first time it was running and then asks me to restart the app to switch to Lync style.

Do I have to capture the settings for this app and in fact for every single app that are installed or will it retain my own settings because it doesn t seem to. Like some appdata thing is wiped after I log off.

Another exemple is the vsphere client. I know I should be using the web client which I do more and more but when you are used to something it is difficult to get away from it. Everytime I start the vsphere client the Ip address / name is not retained and missing from my previous session. Same question do I have to profile the app to pre set the vc servers name ?

In fact my problems are on View mostly.

Cheers

Seb

4 Replies
Seb1180
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

seems to have found the reason behind this.

the appdata folder is not saved. It was before by persona but if I don t tell uem what to save obviously it doesn t which make sense.

Partially solved my issue and moved on and so far so good.

Seb

0 Kudos
Pim999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are correct. The UEM approach is that you must specifiy which applications you use and thus which settings should be captured.

You can easily add applications to the UEM configuration by using the UEM Application Profiler.

0 Kudos
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found that in order to prevent the re-occurring "please logoff to use Lync instead of Skype" initialization message, I had to add the following to my Lync personalization import/export settings:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Lync

The yellow line shown below is a demonstration of what I added.

pastedImage_0.png

This is not included in the Lync 2013 template found here.

Pim_van_de_Vis

Thanks, I've updated the Lync 2013 template.

0 Kudos