VMware Horizon Community
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question on UEM configuration and maintenance

Hi,

We are planning to configure and use UEM and I have few question on best practices and licensing

how licensing work on UEM?

Thank you,

Volga. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Volga,

On best practices:

I recommend to follow UEM admin guide or some experts from UEM blog will provide you with more information here

On licencing:

I can cover more on it Smiley Happy

Generally, UEM deals with 3 types of licencing types

1) Named user

2) Device based

3) Concurrent connection basis.

I like option 3 that way we will have more flexibility.

on licence maintenance:

use this KB, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145894

If you want to change the licence file you can replace the old file with new file from machine where UEM flexengine is running  [make sure the file name should be same]

location of licence file: C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.lic.

Please feel free to reply me here if you have any more question on this thread

Regard,

Vkmr.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Volga,

On best practices:

I recommend to follow UEM admin guide or some experts from UEM blog will provide you with more information here

On licencing:

I can cover more on it Smiley Happy

Generally, UEM deals with 3 types of licencing types

1) Named user

2) Device based

3) Concurrent connection basis.

I like option 3 that way we will have more flexibility.

on licence maintenance:

use this KB, https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145894

If you want to change the licence file you can replace the old file with new file from machine where UEM flexengine is running  [make sure the file name should be same]

location of licence file: C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.lic.

Please feel free to reply me here if you have any more question on this thread

Regard,

Vkmr.

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for response

On license: I was seeing UEM guide and I found the below statement

Prerequisite: A license file is required, except when installing on Horizon 7, what it means? if my View environment is running Horizon 7, UEM is free?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes and no.

It depends on the license version you buy.

When you are using Horizon View you need to buy a concurrent set of licenses for View anyways. If you then install the UEM agent instead of asking for a license key file it literally says "you are installing on a Horizon view machine, no license file required".

And regarding setting it up.

It is pretty easy. Install the agent into your golden image, install the management console on your machine. Create 2 shares, 1 for configuration, 1 for user data. Attach the management console to the share for configuration (during startup it asks for the sharename) and create a GPO that is attached to the OU where your VDI machines are, it's that simple.

The entire configuration is written into .xml files which gives you the option to move around these settings quite easily.

And if you have any questions just ask here. This is a very active forum with a few guys (not me Smiley Happy) that have a very good technical insight into it.. They also react pretty fast.

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your input!

I will plan for option 3 and go with Horizon 7,

if I get named user based license for Horizon 7, how can I manage licenses when a user leave my organization? is there a way to clean that user license?

Thank you,

Volga.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

To be honest I have no idea how the licensing works. We have concurrent enterprise so everything is in there.

I would suggest contacting your account manager. They should be able to give you an answer to this question straight away.

Regarding any VDI or SBC solution I would always suggest concurrent licensing though. The hassle you have with named licenses isn't worth it. Also if you have a large user base that works part time it is almost always cheaper to buy concurrent licensing.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi VMvvol,

WARNING: I'm just a software engineer, not a licensing expert, so the following is not legal advice 🙂

If you're using Horizon, UEM does not enforce any license counting mechanisms. You're of course still bound by whatever your contract says (and I have no clue what that might be :-), but in a technical sense you won't run out of UEM licenses.

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your input it was helpful!!

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Volga,

If you feel, our input fulfill your request can you please make one appropriate reply as correct? so that we will not keep eye on this thread.

Thank you,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos