VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Printers Not Showing Up

I'm a little green when talking about UEM.  We have a bunch of printers that are set up in the mapping section n i have teh conditions set (Group membership), but when i login i don't see the printers in the Devices and Printers app.  The odd thing is, if i go into notepad and try to print something then teh printers show up there.  Is there a setting somewhere that hides these printer mappings?  I need to have them show up.  When i look at the Async logs and it shows that the printers are getting mapped.  Any toughts on why they don't show??  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Successfully mapped printer '\\mwnprt02\Bergan Green Pod Rx Kyocera' ('Bergan Green Pod Rx Kyocera.xml')

2018-01-31 09:41:38.709 [INFO ] Successfully mapped printer '\\mwnprt02\Lakeside North Nurse Kyocera' ('Lakeside North Nurse Kyocera.xml')

2018-01-31 09:42:02.787 [INFO ] Successfully mapped printer '\\mwnprt02\Lakeside North Rx Kyocera' ('Lakeside North Rx Kyocera.xml')

2018-01-31 09:42:27.959 [INFO ] Successfully mapped printer '\\mwnprt02\Lakeside South Nurse Kyocera' ('Lakeside South Nurse Kyocera.xml')

2018-01-31 09:42:52.912 [INFO ] Successfully mapped printer '\\mwnprt02\Lakeside South Rx Kyocera' ('Lakeside South Rx Kyocera.xml')

Perry

Thank you, Perry
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Super6VCA,

Are you using App Volumes as well? If so, maybe you're running into Printer Issues with VMware App Volumes (2150382)?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Super6VCA,

Are you using App Volumes as well? If so, maybe you're running into Printer Issues with VMware App Volumes (2150382)?

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I see that you use over 1 minute mapping these printers.

I had to install all printers into my image and then remove them again, so the image has all the print drivers. Then they will appear in the image and you dont need to install them everytime you log on.

Then i assume you will find your printers.

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi lansti,

It's definitely a best practice to put the printer drivers in the base image, but if you don't, the "only" thing that happens is that printer mapping will be much slower and can occasionally fail. The described symptom of printers not showing up in Devices and Printers but still being available to print to from applications does not match that scenario.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We had printer mapping issues in UEM v9.2 that were fixed in v9.3.

UEM is used to map the printers and we have the drivers already inside our golden image. A lot of users reported they were not seeing any printers in there VDI desktops. The UEM log showed error 87. We were not able to find out why this error would happen. Manual installation of the same printer worked flawlessly.

When v9.3 came out i saw some improvements regarding printers, but not exactly something that should fix our printer issues. After installation of v9.3 however, like magic all our printer issues were gone.

Don't know what UEM version your running and if this info could do anything to fix your issues, but v9.3 is definitely an improvement regarding printers.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi SummaCollege,

Happy to hear that UEM 9.3 fixed your printer issues! (And you're right, it's like magic 🙂 You're using App Volumes as well, right? I think you were previously hitting the Printer mapping fails while AppStack with printer drivers is being attached issue, which was addressed in 9.3

The log fragment from the OP shows that the printer mappings were successful, though, which is not the case if you were to run into that particular issue.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev

You are partially right, we are indeed using App Volumes. But the printer issues are occurring inside VDI desktops that were not using Avpp Volumes/Appstacks at all (different pool).

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi SummaCollege,

Hmmm, then I guess it was indeed like magic 🙂

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This seems to be what is happening to me. i am running Version 9.2 so can i assume that this issue s fixed in 9.3 or am i wishing for too much?   It is going to be really hard to install all the printers to the master image since i have so many.  We have 4 locations and users go to all locations and we have over 100 printers.  All my printers are set to install asynchronously and that is not a bad options since users won;t be using them for a while.  The issue with teh printers showing up is huge because the users that go to all locations need a different DEFAULT and they set them manually.  Any other input concerning printer is appreciated since this is my biggest hangup on this project.   have to find a good way to push different printers to users without having to setup 100 different groups.  Any thoughts??

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Super6VCA

You don't need to install all printers in you golden image, only the drivers. When you already have the drivers in your golden image, mapping printers is done in a flash.

When you need to install the drivers at the point when you map the printer this indeed adds delays that can annoy.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We have all Kyocera printers and i tried to install the Universal Driver to the image but that didn't work.

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Like UEMdev​​ already asked, are you using App Volumes / App Stacks?

There are known issues regarding printers when using them.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Super6VCA,

Let's first focus on your question before we dive into installing drivers in the base image. Your other posts on the community indicate that you also use App Volumes, so I'm pretty sure that the issue mentioned in the KB article I referenced in my first reply might be what's causing this. I'm not sure whether there's a fix – you might want to check with VMware support.

The issue with teh printers showing up is huge because the users that go to all locations need a different DEFAULT and they set them manually.

Maybe there's something you can do with UEM's (Endpoint) IP condition? That is commonly used to create location-based printing, i.e. mapping the printers that are "near" a user (based on IP addresses).

That's more for mapping printers than for setting a particular one as a default, but just wanted to mention it.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You are correct about the original issue and not sure what i will do about that.  The big issue with the default printer is that one user might be in 4 different parts of teh office on 4 different days.  They are nurses that work with different docs each day so they will need 4 different defaults per week.  that is why this is a big headache for me,

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't have anything to offer for App Volumes, I'm afraid – your best bet is to contact support, or maybe ask in the App Volumes forum?

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Perry,

For default printers to persist across VDI sessions? please follow below steps

I think thin printer is causing some problem, if yes, test below solution

disable below thin printer client reg key value to '0'

pastedImage_0.png

Please let us know the feedback

Regards,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Sravan_k,

Thank you for joining in, but let's not confuse the issue further. The OP's problem is that mapped printers are not shown in Devices and Printers, which means that his users cannot easily set a particular printer as the default.

This is unrelated to the default printer setting not persisting across sessions.

0 Kudos
maharajan_be
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are not seeing any of your connected network printers under 'Devices and Printers' on Windows 8 /windows 10 machine, please go into "Services", and you should find five

"Device" services:

"Device Association Service",

"Device Install Service",

"Device Management Enrollment Service",

"Device Setup Manager" and

"DevQuery Background Discovery Broker".

The Device Association Service, Device Install Service, Device Setup Manager and DevQuery Background Discovery Broker should have a startup type of "Manual (Trigger Start)".

"Device Management Enrollment Service" is just "Manual"..

Please check if it helps.

Please check if it helps.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help! I marked as Answered.

Thank you, Perry