VMware Horizon Community
Potehan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Printer properties settings saved by UEM are not applied.

Hi ,I'm Misato.

--Environment--

UEM9.4

Horizon 7.5

Win10 LTSB1607

---------------------

The property setting of the printer which I stored in UEM is not applied to Windows10 at the time of login on the next time.

Only in the case of  general domain users, this problem occurs and does not occur in the domain admins.

I store the following Registry values in UEM.

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Canon MFP\DsDriver

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Canon MFP\DsSpooler

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Canon MFP\PrinterDriverData

The security settings of the printer give the management authority of the printer to a general user.

Somebody help me, please Smiley Sad

Thank you! Misato.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Potehan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev

Thank you for your reply and I solved this issue.

It was caused by the fact that the Registry value of the printer was not given the access permission  (default:read only) to a general user,

after giving access permission to a value of the registry, UEM was able to apply setting.

Thank you  !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Potehan,

You wrote "The security settings of the printer give the management authority of the printer to a general user.", but I'm wondering whether that also means that a non-admin user has permissions to modify settings under those HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Canon MFP registry keys...

If you log on as a non-admin user, can you manually change a value under one of those Canon MFP keys in RegEdit?

0 Kudos
sujayg15
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I might be getting this wrong.. but will give it a go..

- if you have captured (profiled) the printer settings) from source

= where on the source PC / OS, the user account has access to update/manage the printer..

= and you have updated and captured the settings.

- then when pushing this out to the user population. Settings are static

- depending on how the application (in this case the printer settings) works, unless there is a trigger in the Registry Values itself to "Enable/Disable" Management... you will not get your functionality here using User Environment Manager.

- And since User Environment Manager can also push out only "User GPOs", controlling Printer functionality can be done both by a "Computer GPO" and "User GPO" setting. located at

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printers‘  - which needs to be pushed out via regular GPOs using GPMC

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Printers‘  - which can be pushed out via User Environment Manager > ADMX > User-based GPOs

- I would suggest if you want to push out multiple 'static setting' then profile them separately and assign them via "Condition Sets" using User Environment Manager.

0 Kudos
Potehan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, UEMdev

Thank you for your relply.

The manual change of regedit  on VDI is prohibited, and the registry editor controls this in group policy for a computer.

Therefore the manual change of the registry is not made domainadmins on VDI.

But the registry setting of other UEM settings is applied to Windows10 because I admit the silent practice of the registry editor.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Potehan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, sujayg15

Thank you for your reply.

The property setting of the printer is the point that I want to set in user individual treatment.

I should set it to a master if I set it for all users...

Because I was able to store setting in the domain admins account, I am convinced when I can store similar setting in the general user.

Thnak you!

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Potehan,

The reason I asked to verify with regedit was to make sure that the non-admin user actually can modify the registry successfully.

Can you verify with ProcMon or a silent registry export (something like regedit /s /e c:\users\youruser\desktop\export.reg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Canon MFP") that the import was actually able to modify the relevant HKLM settings?

0 Kudos
Potehan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev

Thank you for your reply and I solved this issue.

It was caused by the fact that the Registry value of the printer was not given the access permission  (default:read only) to a general user,

after giving access permission to a value of the registry, UEM was able to apply setting.

Thank you  !

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Potehan​,

Happy to hear that you resolved the problem. Thank you for letting us know that the issue was indeed related to permissions.

0 Kudos