VMware Horizon Community
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Preparing outlook for first use.

I've applied the office 2013 templates and my user settings appear to get saved, but every time I launch outlook from a new non-persistent session it goes through the 5 minute "Preparing outlook for first use."

Is this typical? any ideas how to get it to start up normally like it would have done with the old profile manager?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ok thanks

Did you create a UEM config file to save the .OST/.PST file with UEM ? If not, could it be then, that every time you start Outlook, the PST/OST files is created (Preparing Outlook for first use) ?

The best way is to redirect your .OST/.PST file to the network or home directory of the user.(so if possible, try to find out why Outlook is ignoring your redirection)

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Let me get some more info.

• Have you used sysprep?
  • What kind of re-direction are you using and what folder are you re-directing?
  • When you installed Office, did you use the "Run All From My Computer" option?
  • Is this a View Linked Clone Desktop, is so, are you using Quick-Prep?
0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you using a .OST or .PST file ? If yes, where are you storing this file ?

Raymond

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, these are non persistent linked clones using Quick-Prep. Image was a clean install, sysprep was never run. office is on an AppVol, and was fully installed.

Folder redirection settings for desktop, documents, downloads, music, pictures, videos:

Grant user exclusive rights to Desktop Enabled

Move the contents of Desktop to the new location Disabled

Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems Disabled

Policy Removal Behavior Leave contents

Configuration Control Group Policy

Primary Computer Evaluation Not evaluated because primary computer policy is not enabled

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ost/pst files are still in the default %appdata% of the user's profile. I tried to redirect them at one point using the default location GPO setting, but outlook ignored it.

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ok thanks

Did you create a UEM config file to save the .OST/.PST file with UEM ? If not, could it be then, that every time you start Outlook, the PST/OST files is created (Preparing Outlook for first use) ?

The best way is to redirect your .OST/.PST file to the network or home directory of the user.(so if possible, try to find out why Outlook is ignoring your redirection)

Raymond

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did a bit more poking around in the built in config. My original quick glance gave me the impression that the files had been included, BUT

[includefoldertrees]

<appdata>\microsoft\outlook points to the %appdata%\ROAMING dir., and I needed

<localappdata>\microsoft\outlook

User error corrected, thanks for making me go take another look.