VMware Horizon Community
tully214
Contributor
Contributor

Policies to not apply to all VDI's

I am just learning UEM. I have apps I want for one pool and have created them with shortcuts. It appears they will be applied to all vdi's in every pool. Is there a way that pool 1 will not get the same apps and shortcuts as pool 2? Example some pools will need office 2016 and others 2019.

We have been using with UIA Plus Profile for writebale volumes but I see with UEM you are to use UIA only. What is the the go forward recommendation from vmware. Writebale Volumes or UEM?

Thank you

Tyler

11 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tully214,

All configuration items that you create in UEM have a Conditions tab, where you can define when you want that item to apply. The Horizon Client Property condition can be used to target pools, if you pick the Pool name property:

pastedImage_4.png

As for using UEM in combination with a writable volume: I don't think it's the case that you must use UIA (although I'm definitely no App Volumes expert.) It's just that if you use UEM to manage profile settings, it's a bit of a duplicated effort if you also save the profile data in a writable volume.

0 Kudos
tully214
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you UEMdev. Do you know is vmware pushing UEM or UIA plus writeable volumes as the go forward future?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

They are different products that have different uses, but can be used together to solve problems neither can by them selves. Its not an either or situation from what I see.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tully214,

Like sjesse said, these are two different products, each with their own feature set, but with a little bit of overlap in functionality.

I don't expect any major push in one direction or the other – it's really up to what works best for your scenario.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We are using both (I'm more of an Appvolumes expert than UEM to be honest Smiley Happy) and it works quite well.

We use the UIA + Profile writable but it could give you some issues to be honest.

We decided to use the profile clean-up option from UEM so we can make sure that we are able to restore user settings without going all the way into the writable volume to remove specific settings.

Starting from 2.15 you are also able to exclude specific folders from the profile out of the writable. Pre 2.15 Appvolumes it was not possible.

As of now we are still looking at what works best. Be aware that using both techniques might be challenging at first but if you do get it to works it's a very nice solution..

And let's hope that VMware does not pull out any of these 2 products but starts building it's portfolio on top of it.

tully214
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

If you want to migrate a user from UIA + Profile writable to UEM I assume it will just migrate the user profile data to the Horizon Share? Can you revert back from UEM to UIA + Profile writable?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tully214,

I wouldn't really call this a migration. It's more a matter of configuration.

If you install and configure UEM, and select or define personalization config files that tell UEM what particular settings to capture, the UEM agent will save those settings on the user profile archive share, and load them again at logon or application launch. You don't need to change your App Volumes configuration for that; it will work just fine in parallel, as Ray_handels described.

If you do decide to move away from the UIA + Profile template once you have this in place, but later decide to revert that decision, that'll work just fine as well. The settings that the UEM agent loads at logon or application launch will then be applied to the writable again.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What UEMdev​ says.

We also tried with removing the profile part from the writable altogether without recreating the writable.

You can do this by using the snapvol.cfg from UIA only writable (it is just 6 lines I believe you need to change) and distribute it using the zip file method. Do keep in mind to test this very very thoroughly because it will impact all of your users and you will find out that there is quite some info in that profile that UEM does not capture, and that you don't want UEM to capture because of the size and crap that Microsoft creates in your profile.

It's just a matter of what option suites you best..

tully214
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all the insight. I am having an issue.

I have pool A that is not using UEM and is only using writeable UIA Plus Profile. I then logged into pool B that had UEM with the same user as for pool B. Not when I try and log into Pool A I do not see my Apps from the proper App stack.

I have deleted and recreated my writeable volume and deleted the profile from the UEM Share.

Any Idea why I cannot get pool A working with the app stack and writeable?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tully214,

That sounds like more of an App Volumes question, so you'll probably get more responses in the VMware App Volumes™ forum.

0 Kudos
tully214
Contributor
Contributor

Ty

0 Kudos