VMware Horizon Community
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

PDF preview in explorer

Hi all, 

I'm having an issue where users want to use the "preview pane" in explorer to read documents and pictures from explorer in stead of opening them. I've got this working for pictures text files and office documents, but when I choose a PDF file, it gives an "internal error occured" from Adobe Reader. If we first start Adobe reader once, then the preview works fine for the rest of the user session, but it has to be done for every now session. 

Already tried import/export of the Adobe reader settings at logon, but that doesn't make any difference

Environment: Horizon 2006 with instant clones, Windows 1909, Adobe Reader DC with latest update (installed on image) and the option to enable PDF previews in Explorer is enabled

Any ideas are welcome!

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MIWE-Admins
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

maybe that will help you a little.

There are two areas in Windows for the "preview handler" where this is set.
Once the application itself and the other in Windows 10.

What you have already tried is described here.
https://helpx.adobe.com/de/acrobat/using/enable-pdf-thumbnail-preview-windows-explorer.html

In the regestry you will find the preview handler depending on the application here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Classes \ CLSID \

I saw that there was also a tool that I didn't use.

https://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html

The company "Tracker" has a tool for adapting the installation of the pdf xchange editor. The best thing to do is to really make a diff of the keys.

But the Thmea "Preview Handler" is really not a masterpiece in Windows heaven.

Good luck

Michael

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the info. However, I've already checked the reg keys and they are all like they are supposed to be. Also did a reg comparison but couldn't find anything related to it. 

The fix tool you are referring too, seems to be dealing with that registry key and since it's last updated in 2011 and only talking about Windows 7 en Reader X I don't think it will help me any further. 

Thanks for your input anyway!

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
rm07102
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with Windows 1909 and Acrobat Standard in a linked clone.  PDFs will not preview in Explorer's preview pane and PDF attachments in Outlook will not open with the Preview option.  I changed the default PDF viewer to Chrome and the problem persists so it's not an issue with Acrobat.   Adobe says they are aware of the issue and upgrading to Windows 2004 or 20H2 will fix it.  I can confirm upgrading to 20H2 did fix it for me in a test image.  I have an SR open with MS so I can get it fixed in Windows 1909.