VMware Horizon Community
AlexB23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Open Internet Shortcuts in Chrome?

I need to deploy several desktop shortcuts to various pools of non-persistent VDI machines. I am looking for ways to have internet shortcuts open in Chrome, which is not (and cannot) be the default web browser. Any ideas?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexB23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up using "files and folders" to drop a folder onto the desktop that contains all the properly configured shortcuts. I then use a logon task to copy the contents of that folder to the desktop, and everything works perfectly! Thanks for the help everyone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Should be straightforward, the target in the below example is ...

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" www.bbc.co.uk

pastedImage_4.png

Put a condition on it and you're done.

pastedImage_3.png

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
AlexB23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mellicott,

Thanks for the quick response! I had tried this previously, however when I try to actually save this shortcut UEM hits me with an error message:

pastedImage_0.png

It doesn't seem to like quotation marks in the target Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AlexB23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And when I remove the quotations from the file path to the chrome.exe file, the shortcut allows me to save. However the shortcut doesn't seem to resolve, since nothing ends up on the user desktop. As soon as I remove the file path to chrome.exe, the shortcut appears but I'm back at square one with it opening in IE.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Move the URL from the end of Target field to the Argument field, and remove the "".

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

please try what "alsmk" said move web address to argument, if it is still not working I have below idea for you

use "files and folders" token under user environment and create your shortcut at this location

provide us your feedback

Regards,

Vkmr.

QCBenPetersen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem but needed to open in IE, as edge is the default.

I created the shortcuts then copied them to the Files and Folders via desktop shortcuts.

AlexB23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up using "files and folders" to drop a folder onto the desktop that contains all the properly configured shortcuts. I then use a logon task to copy the contents of that folder to the desktop, and everything works perfectly! Thanks for the help everyone.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Perfect AlexB, thanks for feedback!

If you feel my comment [file/folder] is correct\helpful can you please mark it accordingly?

Regards,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi QCBen,

Are you supporting MS Edge in your environment? I think you are using Windows 10 Pro., if not you can block Edge from GPO

Regards,

Vkmr

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

It should be possible to do this easier. My preference would be to use the 'Arguments' field and type the URL there. See the screenshot for an example.

Otherwise you can also copy the shortcuts directly to the desktop. Why put them in a subfolder and them move them? Seems like an extra step that's not necessary.

0 Kudos
AlexB23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pim, Following your example in the screenshot does not work. Have you had success with that method in the past?

​That did work! I had a typo :smileysilly:

0 Kudos