VMware Horizon Community
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OneDrive - auto connect/login

Hello, 

We are trying to get OneDrive to "work" on a Windows 10 non-persistent Horizon desktop.  And by "work" I mean when a user logs into a desktop, OneDrive auto connects to THEIR OneDrive "folder" without having to go through the login/connection settings each time.  I started looking at UEM to see if UEM will capture the information I need.  Currently my config file for OneDrive looks like the screen shot below and attached.  What should the config file look like to capture the user's information for OneDrive?  OR is there another way of doing this with GPO, etc.??

RachelW_0-1621352331465.png

Thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The best way to do this in non-persistent VDI environment is to use FSLogix Office containers to store OneDrive cache and configuration. Using FSLogix you don't even have to create or store any OneDrive configuration in DEM.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI @Mickeybyte ,

THank you for the quick response.

I had a feeling FSLogix was going to be a recommendation.  I tried to use FSLogix for Teams and Office but the container files for each user was much too large for use to store. 🙂

Rachel 

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@RachelW 

It shouldn't be that much more data than when you capture the same data with DEM and it's much easier to handle and faster to login (no need to copy all data data to the VDI at login). You did change the default allocation of the VHDX to dynamic, did you? 

Nevertheless, the Registry keys containing the user information are located at HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts and some files located in %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive (not sure if you all need to save them)

You'll also have to capture the OneDrive folder location where the files are stored otherwise you'll get an error at each login saying the OneDrive folder doesn't exist. 

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Mickeybyte ,

Your question was: "You did change the default allocation of the VHDX to dynamic, did you?"

My answer is: Well, I am not sure what that means so possibly not.

So, would I use the Registry keys with UEM/DEM - add them to the OneDrive config file? 

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@RachelW ,

With Dynamic allocation the VHDX container will start around 300Mb and grow as new data is entered in the container. If you don't enable this, the inital container will be 30GB (or whatever maximum size you've set in the GPO settings) even if there's no data in it.

Dynamic allocation doesn't mean it will also shrink if data is removed, but "free space" will be reused before the VHDX is further extended in size. There are also tools available that you can use to regularly shrink all your VHDX files by removing the free space from it, defragging and reducing the size of the container file.

Concerning the registry keys, you can add them to the existing OneDrive config in DEM.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
JackBack42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you explain the last line "You'll also have to capture the OneDrive folder location where the files are stored otherwise you'll get an error at each login saying the OneDrive folder doesn't exist." does this mean that we will need to capture the folder and all the documents and such inside of the onedrive folder to be picked up by DEM? thus making the profile size considerably large depending on how many files the user stores?

0 Kudos
tmurray42
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue. Using FSlogix Office containers and DEM. After some trial and error I got OneDrive to stay signed in between sessions. This is the config file I added to DEM for OneDrive.

bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@tmurray42 Thank You for this info. 

For some reason, for a few of our users it wouldn't auto login OneDrive. Capturing this folder has helped them.

Thank You!