VMware Horizon Community
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OneDrive - Windows 10 1709 Files On-Demand abilities of the new OneDrive sync client.

OK.  So I'm trying to get the new "On-Demand"  OneDrive client working with UEM...and was hoping someone has already figured it out.

I did not see a new OneDrive application config posted yet.

OneDrive Files-On-Demand works very well in my non-persistent pool, but you have to run setup everytime you want to use it. 

This is where UEM comes in!  Let's see if we can figure this out together.

Once you set the FilesOnDemandEnabled=1 registry value, the client on displays your files, and no sync is performed.  You only download the files you need when accessed.

You can add the SilentAccountConfig=1 dword policy as well...so the users do not need to setup anything.

Now I just need to determine what registry values & %appdata%\local files need to be retained via UEM.  This is the difficult part.

Tags (1)
14 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

A UEM config file that captures the OneDrive for Business settings is already included in UEM.

Just create a new UEM config file, select from the list of applications and select Office 2016/OneDrive.

The template can also be found here: Microsoft Office 2016.zip

JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is for the Office 2016 OneDrive... The Windows 10 built-in OneDrive no longer uses these registry keys...

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Groove

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\SyncCenter

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\SyncProc

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Workspaces

[Information]

Title = OneDrive_for_Business_20151028

Description = OneDrive for Business

Windows 10's OneDrive is pretty different.  It uses different Registry locations, as well as files in LocalAppData.

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive

JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Microsoft is killing off the old Office 2016 OneDrive (Groove.exe) client.  It is no longer installed with O365 Click-to-run installations...since October 2017.

The new OneDrive sync client (OneDrive.exe) is the recommended option for Office 365 customers.

More info can be found here: Changes to the previous OneDrive sync client (Groove.exe) in Office 2016 Click-to-Run - OneDrive

Here are the details for the NetGen OneDrive Client that I'm trying to setup.  Use Group Policy to control OneDrive sync client settings - Office Support

falveyr
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck on getting this setup in UEM?

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm getting closer...but not perfect yet.

I can get it to login to a non-persistent desktop...but OneDrive alerts me via "pop-up" that my "OneDrive - BusinessName" folder has changed, and is not the original.

I click try-again. and it sets everything up perfectly...with the files-on-demand feature working perfectly.

I'm hoping other people smarter than me will assist!

0 Kudos
falveyr
Contributor
Contributor

What are you currently backing up with UEM?

I am trying the following settings: 

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\OneDrive

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here's my work in progress:

# OneDrive for Windows 10

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
#HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

[ExcludeIndividualRegistryValues]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\SilentBusinessConfigCompleted
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Version
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\ClientEverSignedIn

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi John,

Are you not using LTSB version of windows? the reason why I am asking this is if you are using LTSB, we can manage onedrive with some other 3rd party application like onedrive mapper and Zee drive

ref: OneDriveMapper | Liebensraum

VMTN thread: VMware Horizon 6.1 and Microsoft One drive for Business Sync

Thank you,

Vkmr.

JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sadly, No. 

Management wanted a couple Modern apps, like Edge, which LTSB does not support. 

0 Kudos
natural20
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having this same issue with the new onedrive client and having the FilesOnDemandEnabled=1 registry value. I backup the onedrive configs via UEM and it pops up a scary looking message about it not being the original folder. Clicking 'try again' will get it working.

We have seen issues with backing up too many files & configs via UEM in the past, so I tried figuring out what was the minimum needed for OneDrive. This is what I am backing up:

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings\Business1\*-*.ini

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts\Business1\Business

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts\Business1\FirstRun

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts\Business1\UserFolder

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive\Accounts\Business1\DisplayName

The ini file and the 'Business' and 'FirstRun' registry values are the bare minimum. The 'userfolder' is needed so that launching the onedrive app from the start menu will jump to the correct location. The 'displayname' will append your unique name to the end of the onedrive - XXX folder on the leftnav of explorer.

John - how are you installing the onedrive client each time?

tbro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our use case is a little bit different, but I was just able to get the OneDrive client working in my pilot environment and the only catch seems to be that users need to enter their email address to sign in each time.

We are using LTSB, so no Files on Demand for us, but I think this approach would still work.

First off for UEM I am using the settings provided here by JohnTwilley​. I have placed the exe for the OneDrive client on my parent image and am using a logon script in UEM to install the client for our users.

Now, since Files on Demand is not an option, we needed to deal with the OneDrive cache, so that we didn't have to download all our files each time we log in. On my parent image I created a "OneDriveSync" folder on the root of C and then modified the security of this folder so that the Users group would have full control of this folder. Using the OneDrive GPO settings I set the default folder location for the OneDrive folder to map to the "OneDriveSync" folder and disabled the ability for our users to change the location of the OneDrive folder.

Since our users get a writable volume, I then modified the config file and added the below line at the top.

################################################################

# OneDrive Cache

################################################################

virtualize=\OneDriveSync

In this scenario the cache follows our users as they log in and out and they are not getting the scary looking error message that "the onedrive folder is not your original onedrive folder"

lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Where do you set FilesOnDemandEnabled=1 ?

I have enabled this by GPO, but i do not find the setting in registry....

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
PFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone made any progress on this?

We're having the same issue, using UEM. It works perfectly after they hit 'Retry'. What is the logic behind that?!

Anyway, I thought 'Well, if it doesn't know where the folder is, I will tell it', so I put the folder path that is configured to sync in a config file like so:

[IncludeIndividualFolders]

<UserProfile>\OneDrive\OneDrive - [Site name]

The good news:

It doesn't pop up with the error, the user does not have to click retry

The bad news:

Everything that is not configured to "Always sync to this device (any on-demand file that has not synced) gets deleted from OneDrive.

Oof. We previously used Writable volumes which came with their own slew of problems, but OneDrive was not one of them. What's different about these two products that it works in one and not the other? What settings or files are being remembered by App Volumes that aren't being remembered by UEM that cause it to work?

I wish there was more documentation about this.

0 Kudos
PFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We ended up using this script to map the users' OneDrive and 'Favorited' Sharepoint sites to a drive letter during logon:

TechNet OneDriveMapper automatically map your OneDrive for Business upon login

https://www.lieben.nu/liebensraum/onedrivemapper/onedrivemapper-faq/

Still struggling with minor issues, although the script does work fairly well with minimal setup.

0 Kudos