VMware Horizon Community
milan187
Contributor
Contributor

New Outlook and New Teams DEM capture

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has dived into testing New Outlook (really want to get rid of OST files) and new Teams. I know its not all officially supported yet. 

Initially they setup and work. However they wont launch after log off and log in.

I found if I remove the below DEM captures and login it works fine.

- Default App and FTAs

milan187_0-1704984603770.png

- Start Menu

milan187_1-1704984624845.png

Also this is what I am currently capturing for the new Outlook and Teams (based on my own work and stuff I found online):

milan187_2-1704984678556.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the heads-up!

0 Kudos
bcannon60
Contributor
Contributor

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-vdi-requirements-deploy#profile-and-cache...

This article explains what MS recommends to persist vs what not to persist. I'm still testing this myself as well. 

0 Kudos
milan187
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I've gone through this.

0 Kudos
onfire247
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thing I do not understand from the New Teams setup is how to configure the recommended settings in DEM. Currently, the old Teams points to an executable in Program Files (x86). With the new version, it no longer has an executable since it is a metro app that is a part of Windows 10 Settings. Or at least I cannot find an executable. How do you get the DEM settings to latch onto the new Teams when you launch it without that?

0 Kudos
milan187
Contributor
Contributor

You must have DirectFlex enabled for old Teams?

Don't know how I would use it for New Teams but the app is in C:/Program Files/WindowsApps. It's hidden.

The app data capture without DirectFlex is in my screenshot above. 

However I still have issues after log off and log in as stated above. 

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would suggest separating 'New Teams' & 'New Outlook'  into two different applications.

New Teams is a fairly LARGE Zip file if setup like Microsoft suggests on their site. You may need to do some housekeeping in the future and it would be less disruptive if you whack someone's enormous NewTeams.zip... Just a thought.

Here's my current policy for New Teams 2.1:

It's basically Microsoft's suggested folder from the link above.  It works OK, the ZIP is around 15 - 20 MB ...and I'm triggering using DirectFlex --> ms-teams.exe

#
# 'New Teams' 2.1 Policy
#
# Additional Registry entries to smooth things out
[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Teams
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe

[IncludeFiles]
# Official Files to sync from Microsoft's New Teams Deployment Site
<LocalAppData>\Publishers\8wekyb3d8bbwe\TeamsSharedConfig\tma_settings.json
<LocalAppData>\Publishers\8wekyb3d8bbwe\TeamsSharedConfig\app_switcher_settings.json

[IncludeFolderTrees]
# Official Files to sync from Microsoft's New Teams Deployment Site
# Screen Bug 3674667 - trying just Top Level as per Micrsoft Support --<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
# Official Exclusions from Microsoft's New Teams Deployment Site
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Logs
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\PerfLog
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\WebStorage
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\GPUCache
# Additional Exclusions
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\Crashpad
#<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\GrShaderCache
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Cache
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Code Cache
# <LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\IndexedDB
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Service Worker\CacheStorage
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Service Worker\ScriptCache

This results in a 15 - 20 MB ZIP file.  

I also have a couple Horizon pools with  FSLogix that supports New Teams.  It is MUCH better of a user experience, as it auto registers New Teams for the user, and opens it better, faster, cleaner.  I'd recommend using FSlogix if you can for serious Teams users.

For those wondering how to install New Teams, check out Microsoft's Bulk Deployment Site.

Disable new Teams autoupdate

To prevent new Teams from autoupdating, use the following registry key on the virtual machine.

Name: disableAutoUpdate

Type: DWORD

Value: 1

Future Master Image Updates:  

I just re-run Teamsbootstrapper.exe -p

If 'Teamsbootstrapper.exe -P' doesn't work…use this alternative installation method.

Dism /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:c:\temp\MSTeams-x64.msix /SkipLicense

Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | Select PackageName

We decided to perform the Rip-n-Replace method.  Uninstalled Classis Teams, installed New Teams.  This decision was due to issues with switching from classic to new, as well as Outlook integration/registration issues.  It was just cleaner to have only one.

Also remember to update your TeamsBootStrapper.exe file often!  Microsoft has made many changes, and they do not publish them.  I was on Microsoft TAP calls during testing, and they kept making changes to the installation and registration methods.  There are no release notes...

Healthcare Enterprise Architect
Tampa, FL
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wanted to mention that 'new teams' does not behave the same as Classic teams when opening for us.  classic teams retained the windows size and location...where new teams always starts in the center of the monitor.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I'm sure there a way to capture it...but I haven't run across it yet.

Tampa, FL
0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is interesting - so they've hard-coded in the startup script some core configuration settings.  I wonder if that's for speed of opening - rather than having to fetch and load the last user-config setting?   

I'd be curious to hear what others find on that (I don't have the time right now to go code/config diving)

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It was DirectFlex causing the issues... turned off DirectFlex and New Teams, and its working as expected.

We had used DirectFlex due to the large ZIP size during initial testing.  Now that we have it down to 15MB it's not as big of a deal.

Tampa, FL
0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DirectFlex, really?  I'm genuinely interested in why that was involved in the issue (not that you were using it, but that it had that big of an effect). That would be a fun software bug hunt (IMHO)

Great that you found that and were able to resolve the issue!

0 Kudos