VMware Horizon Community
Oneboss302
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft Teams

Is it just me or is Microsoft Teams the most impossible application to run in a Non persistent disk environment. It absolutely clobbers CPU and memory at log on.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's not just you...Microsoft Teams is a bloated heap of software.  What's interesting is the the Teams Web version is just as bad. 400MB+ Memory usage, just like the client.

i_fdez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Apparently they're going to include the possibility of install Teams in a non-persistent VDI:

Non Persistent VDI – Tell us what you think

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Patiently waiting for this new installer... Really hot garbage right now.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here's Microsoft's answer for MS Teams...hint...don't get your hopes up.

Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure | Microsoft Docs

And another Blog entry to help with the Bloated mess called Teams.: https://james-rankin.com/articles/microsoft-teams-on-citrix-xenapp/

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, it's a mess. Random black screens on some of the app-integrated pages, audio quality is hit or miss. According to Microsoft they don't yet have any of the optimizations in place for Teams like they do for Skype for VDI. So unless you are just chatting they don't recommend it.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm hoping that Microsoft's new Windows Virtual Desktop | Microsoft Azure implementation will help focus Microsoft's application suite to better tune for virtualization.

It looks like they even created a new version of Windows 10 (Multi-User) in Azure to help with VDI.  Now if only the rest of us had this highly tuned Windows 10 version...

At least they are moving in the right direction.  I just hope it trickles down to us.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We were able to get it to work in a bit of a decent manner by installing it on the writable but of all the crappy software Microsoft delivered lately this might top the list.... Smiley Happy.

Thing is that it is being installed in the APPDATA and if you don't have a writable it needs to be reinstalled over and over again (or you need to capture it in UEM but then logon will be slowed down a bit.

Microsoft idea of installing it company wide is to copy the installer into the program files folder and install it from there.. I really hope they come up with an All users version of Teams that installs in the program Files directory like they did for OneDrive.

0 Kudos
johnnydel
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you it sucks really.

Regards,

Free Account

0 Kudos
cdickerson75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They have a version that installs in Program Files.

Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure | Microsoft Docs

-Craig

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe I did see that page but what it does (or at least that's what I found out) is that it still copies all data to the %Appdata% folder, including the application files so it is not really installing in program files.

0 Kudos