VMware Horizon Community
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Issue with recycle bin

Hi, ijdemes

I am getting one strange annoying message saying my recycle bit got corrupted message [it is getting with random users at random time]

I am using non-persistent desktop and windows 10 1607

Please let me know how to fix it on gold image?

Thank you,

Vkmr.

21 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sravan_k,

Is this related to UEM, or did you post your question in the wrong forum?

0 Kudos
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think not related to UEM, but try this command in your golden image (with elevated command prompt) 

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

Then reboot your VM and seal the image.

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Yes and No because recycle bin is on gold image desktop.

interestingly if user delete files and log-off, on next session when user logs-in those files are there in recycle bin, we are using non-persistent VDI's

Thank you,

Vkmr.

ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes perform this fix on your golden image.

So update the golden image and refresh your pools.

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did this fix your issue? We are seeing this when a user would disconnect from a session, then reconnect later.

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Run this[rd /s /q c:\$recycle.bin] command and keep under monitoring, have you tried this?

admsrvvma01
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with my environment. I'm running Windows 10 1607 LTSB. I've tried running the command [rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin], as well as sfc /scannow, which did find some corrupted files. However, our users are still getting this pop up randomly when they reconnect to their VMs. We're not sure what's continuing to cause this. We are redirecting everything in the UEM folder redirection, which makes me wonder if that is related.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

I am with you

After doing this [rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin, restart and take snap] the number reporting users are reduced for me but users are still seeing this issue.

I don't know it is due to UEM because there are other things involved here like app stacks ...

Regards.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Do the users affected have writeable volumes?

0 Kudos
admsrvvma01
Contributor
Contributor

We are pretty traditional, working off an SSD SAN, floating pool, no disposable drive. This is our first time implementing UEM and on a newer platform, Windows 10 1607 Enterprise. Profile settings and redirected folders are stored on a drive share that exists on the same SSD, just a different volume.

When we do go through with the user on deleting the corrupted drive, we get this message:

2017-10-20_15-58-18.png

After selecting Close, it proceeds to delete.

Wondering if it's a GPO & permissions issue that eventually causes this. We also permanently delete files on the VM, so nothing is sent to the Recycle Bin.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

No writable volumes on this environment

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

interesting, Please start from GPO policy's that are applying on container where affected machine is running from

also check UAC [but less chances]

0 Kudos
admsrvvma01
Contributor
Contributor

Update: In our UEM folder redirection settings, we roam everything. I looked into the profile folders of each user, and with the hidden system file settings turned off, I noticed a recycle bin is in each of those folders redirected.

Another thing is the $recycle.bin directory has has only read & execute permissions for the User group. I'm thinking the issue lies here. I'm going to give users full access to $recycle.bin, test, and see what comes out of it. It's possible something is out of sync between the redirected recycle bin and the local $recycle.bin folder.

jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did this help at all?  We are having the same issue when using Windows 10 1703.

Edit:  I'm thinking this is actually an app volumes thing.  If you have an appstack where you delete anything I think this happens.  Anyone know why the following lines in the snapvol.cfg are commented out:

################################################################

# File system exclusions

################################################################

#exclude_path=\$RECYCLE.BIN

#exclude_path=\RECYCLER

I would think you would want to exclude $RECYCLE.BIN from being captured during appstack creation.

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I want to say since we went to 1703 here about a month ago, this issue went away. We haven't heard a peep from our users and I haven't seen it myself since.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm using Windows 10 1703 and it definitely still happens.

0 Kudos
Trad2016
Contributor
Contributor

Also getting this issue with Win10 1703.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you run app volumes or UEM?

0 Kudos
Trad2016
Contributor
Contributor

The users currently getting this message are with UEM 9.3 w/ folder redirection

0 Kudos