VMware Horizon Community
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue with UEM 9 and App Volumes 2.10

I'm surprised no one else has experienced this.. but if you have UEM 9 with App Volumes 2.10 any stacked application that connects to an external system like vsphere client, remote desktop manager, xming or similar opens but you get what looks like a firewall, dns on winsock error.   I tried the following while troubleshooting which lead me to discover the UEM 9 > AppVolumes 2.10 issue.  Keep in mind that prior to upgrading to UEM 9 all the issues described were non existent.

1. create new capture vm for app volumes
  2. created individual app stacks for xming, termnals, rdc, vpshere client
  3. created an single appstack  will the applications
  4. installed the apps on write-able volume with the same results
  5. remove all the agents and installed them in correct order
  6. removed UEM 9.. bingo appstacks works
  7. tested all combinations of the appstacks and they all work all users as long as UEM 9.0 is not installed.

I don't have app blocking (its disabled by default) and I dont think there any other setting in UEM that's intended to have this effect.  Also I looked around and didn't find any  compatibility issues between UEM 9 and App Volumes 2.10 on any doc.

I'm going to downgrade UEM agent on the endpoints to 8.7 and test

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any conflicts between AV2.10 and UEM9.0, so I'm interested to hear if the downgrade to UEM 8.7 solved this issue.

Can you give me an update?

0 Kudos
dray11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FWIW... I have App Volumes 2.10 and UEM 9.0 and am not experiencing this problem.  I have an AppStack with Remote Desktop Connection Manager, Royal TS, Putty, vSphere client.  They all work as expected.   Odd that you are having that experience.  I hope you get it figured out.

/David

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After downgrading the agent to 8.7 appstacks works as expected.   I can actually reproduce the issue, but I testing the order of installation of  core agents as a possible cause since it seems that I'm the only one experiencing this.

Will update / close this thread once I find the solution.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

As a best practice, always install the AppVolumes agent last.

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

At this point it looks more than bug than a configuration issue after all the test I have done.   Is someone else using the following

Horizon view agent 6.2.1

UEM 9.0

App Volumes 2.10

Windows 76 64 SP1

Any app stack with application that connects to another system such as:

telnet

http

https

rdp

ssh

I can consistently reproduce an condition in which the app stack can't connect or use the tcp stack, if I simple uninstall UEM 9.0 and or uninstall 9.0 in favor of 8.7 everything works.    This occurs on my existing parent/provision desktops and on brand new parent/provision built just to troubleshoot this issue.

Keep in mind that I'm always following the install order below

Vmware Tools

Horizon Agent

UEM

App Volumes

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What version of Horizon Agent?

Did you start with UEM 9 or upgraded from 8.7

what version of vsphere?

Any special install order of your agents?

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos