VMware Horizon Community
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Issue with Outlook and visio configuration pop-up on each launch of application

Hi,

I am facing one issue with Outlook and Visio configuration pop-up, each time I launch the application.

I checked version's of office and outlook/visio which are on same version

I has office/outlook in on app stack and visio on other app stack

using app volumes 2.11 and UEM 9.1 , please help me out with this issue, I am working on it from past two weeks... I tried all most all workaround in our VMware technology network  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can assume that you have read these?

Installing and Using Microsoft Office Products with VMware App Volumes 2.x (2146035) | VMware KB

Microsoft Office Options with App Volumes - VMware Blogs

The second one I think is quite enlightening... with office it seems most of the issues are with the office Core bits

If it was me and I really really wanted to deliver office via appstack I would have two one just office and one office with Visio and make sure no users ever got both

I played with what you are trying to do for a bit and never got it to work cleanly unless I did what I suggested above but in our environments I have Office on the gold image and then I have three appstacks that I add to it... One for Visio... one for Project and then one for both... but every time I try attach two appstacts with office components I get your issue.

Somebody else out here in forum land will hopfuly enlighten us both Smiley Happy

Bryan

View solution in original post

32 Replies
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With the Visio App Stack when you  are provisioning it... it is very important to not run Visio "to Test it" Just do the install and then compleate it.

Also the workstation you are doing your provisioning on needs to have the exact same Office install as the target workstations and really its best to take a template or clone of the target workstation for provisioning of the Visio App Stack... so Install office as it is on the target workstations and reboot... then provision the app Stack for Visio on it but remembering to not run Visio after its installed.

That should do the trick

Bryan

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks Begoofy, I had app stack for office and I had other app stack for only visio and both are two different app stacks created on clean machine (which is my provision VM)

I am doing what you said but still it is showing that configuration pop up

note I am not installing office on gold/master/parent image.

0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can assume that you have read these?

Installing and Using Microsoft Office Products with VMware App Volumes 2.x (2146035) | VMware KB

Microsoft Office Options with App Volumes - VMware Blogs

The second one I think is quite enlightening... with office it seems most of the issues are with the office Core bits

If it was me and I really really wanted to deliver office via appstack I would have two one just office and one office with Visio and make sure no users ever got both

I played with what you are trying to do for a bit and never got it to work cleanly unless I did what I suggested above but in our environments I have Office on the gold image and then I have three appstacks that I add to it... One for Visio... one for Project and then one for both... but every time I try attach two appstacts with office components I get your issue.

Somebody else out here in forum land will hopfuly enlighten us both Smiley Happy

Bryan

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This link is super Microsoft Office Options with App Volumes - VMware Blogs ‌with your explanation, I will fellow this and will update you feedback my friend Bryan.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If we install office on gold image while creating visio and project app stacks, do we need to use clone of gold image which contains office on it as a provision VM?

are I can use a clean machine which contains vmware tools and appvolume agent?

0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it is recommended that you use a clone of the Gold image but I didn't....  I installed the same version of office on my clean machine and then took a snapshot of it so I could go back and forth to a clean machine with and without office and then I provisioned the Visio, Project, and Visio + Project Appstacks off that rolling it back to the office install snap shot each time and everything worked just fine.

I keep my "Clean" machine patched to the same level as the Gold image

Oh and I don't know if it really matters by my Clean machine is domain joined... I know they also say not to do that with the rolling back to snapshots and stuff but we've never had issue with it and many of our apps that I appStack need to be on a network joined PC.

And ours also has the UEM Application profiler installed as well just in case you need to do anything with that.. Since you cannot profile an application if the UEM agent is installed on it and it makes sense to me to do the install and then profile it all in one shot.

I hope that is what you were looking for

Bryan

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you Bryan, you information is really helpful and also we should not do any updates (for example monthly security updates) on clean machine?

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We also keep packaging machines that are "blank" (Windows patched to latest level only) as well as those that were cloned from the gold image.

Ours have always been domain joined.

We suffer Office configuration a lot, it's a huge issue for us. 

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In our environment we use Microsoft SCEP and it applies all the same patchs to the Provision workstation as well as the VDI environment so do do some patching.

the only issue with SCEP is that before you Recompose your pool you have to Run it and let it update your Gold and then do a full scan for AV before you snapshot and recompose.

I'm not sure I'm answering your question or not... if not let me know and I'll try again Smiley Happy

Bryan

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Bryan,

After moving office to parent image I tested visio app stack which is working fine, but if I attache visio app stack and some other XYZ app stack, I am seeing the issue again.

0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it any other Appstack or does XYZ have an office app in it? for example Project?

As long as no other Appstacks have office applications I don't have that issue... sorry man Smiley Sad in some cases our users get up to 5 Appstacks without issue

Could the issue be with your KMS server? I have seen in the past that sometimes our KMS server was slow to activate and if you left the desktop running for 5 min it would be fine... Not acceptable for sure but may help with troubleshooting?... just an idea

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am having issue with only one app stack (for example XYZ app stack) which I had office in 'past'.

I recreated XYZ app stack (with out office) and tested it along with visio app stack but seeing same issue

now visio is not working along with XYZ app stack

0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you just uninstall Office from the AppStack or build it from scratch?

If you just uninstalled office then I would say there are office bits that didn't come off which is not unusual... if you rebuilt it from scratch then I'm at a loss I'm sorry to say and perhaps a VMware support call would be in order.

sorry Kumar

Bryan

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Bryan, there is one application in XYZ app stack which is generating this issue with visio

but I need that application which removed from XYZ app stack along with visio app stack to the end user

0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you don't mind the application to go out with all Visio users then I would add it to the Visio AppStack... if that is not the case then I would Create a new AppStack with Visio and this application and give that one to only the people that need it.

This sounds very much the same challenge as with Visio and Project.

You cannot have office on your gold and then attach a Visio AppStack and then attach a Project AppStack as it will cause the same issues you are having... so when dealing with these you have to create three AppStacks

1) with Visio

2) With Project

3) with Both Visio and Project

and then you attach one and only one to the users that need one or the other or both... You can attach any number of other AppStacks that have no Office components or conflicts.

So this sounds very much the same thing as you have... with Office on the Gold then three AppStacks (well maybe just two its up to you)

1) with Visio

2) with Visio and "The App"

3) with just "The App" if that is a requirement I don't know.

and then you attach one of these and only one to the users that need the combination and other AppStacks are fine if no office or conflicts

Office is tricky that is for sure... I hope this helps

I will also put out this other nugget of goodness... I don't know what this App is and its cool that I don't but you should look into ThinApp... also a VMware tool and its very much like AppVols only its real niche is that it creates application Isolation... and you can make an app built for windows98 or 32x and have it run just fine on Win10 or 64x... The process for Creating a ThinApp is very much like an AppStack and one of the things it will do is create an MSI that you can then run in you AppStack so Yes you can create a ThinApp and then put that ThinApp into an AppStack... I think one more layer and we'll have a paradox Smiley Happy

Anyway ThinApp is its own stand alone app verualisation tech that works well in many many situations that require Isolation... has its own deployment and updating methodologies and is a whole conversation unto its own... Look into it... if you don't like the multiple AppStack idea then ThinApp Isolation may be the way to go next

Bryan

mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kumar,

On a session that gives you the Configuration pop up, start a CMD prompt, and in the root of c: do a "dir /x /a".

This will show you the dos shortnames for the contents of your root folder, is progra~1 next to Programdata and progra~2 next to Program Files by any chance?

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Kumar,

I think that's your problem, we are seeing, once provisioning had started: -

progra~1 for programdata

progra~2 for program files

whereas, before provisioning started, we have: -

progra~1 for program files

progra~2 for programdata

Weird things like "cd progra~1" AND "cd progra~2" took you to c:\programdata!

You can fix it, update your appstack and do the following: -

fsutil file setshortname "ProgramData" JULIAN~1

fsutil file setshortname "Program Files" ADRIAN~1

fsutil file setshortname "Program Files (x86)" MARTIN~1

fsutil file setshortname "Program Files (x86)" PROGRA~3

fsutil file setshortname "ProgramData" PROGRA~2

fsutil file setshortname "Program Files" PROGRA~1

Whenever we fix this we see much fewer issues.  VMware are aware and investigating.  One last question for you, is your appstack built from the default 20Gb template, or did you create some smaller templates?

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi BeGoofy,

I am facing one .OST file out of date error non-periodically in Outlook, as shown in below picture.

outlook-ceach.PNG

I am running Outlook on cache mode in non-persistent VDI environment, my outlook is in Gold image/ parent image.

How can I fix it now my friend?

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

Anyone got a fix for this?

I have Office 2013 professional installed on the base image and I'm attempting to get VISIO working in a appstack.

I'm using a snap of the parent image without the VMware agent installed and I continue to get this once applying the appstack.

pastedImage_0.png

Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos