VMware Horizon Community
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue UEM "Please wait for the Vmware UEM Service"

Hi All,

When you fix an issue and think all is good with the world we get a new issue story of my life.

Anyway so we just updated App Volumes to 2.13.2.13 which was installed to fix an issue with the DB multiple same machine names etc.

So after the upgrade My team and I noticed that UEM started playing up.

We currently using UEM 9.3 and when we log into a Windows 10 1607 built it powers on does svservice (AppVolumes) and gets to "Please wait for the Vmware UEM Service"

And just hangs i can see App Volumes has attached App Stacks and can see the machine i am logging into but in VMware View Agent it says i have not logged in due to waiting on UEM Service.

Any one seen this issue.

Thanks in advanced

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doing a clean up of my old threads

a somewhat fix which is documented is doing a shutdown script

C:\Windows\System32\net.exe stop /y workstation

this seems to make life better.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Natestack,

Sorry to hear that. I'm not very familiar with App Volumes, but let's see what we can find out.

Does the issue also occur without AppStacks attached? Is UEM configured via Group Policy, or are you using it in NoAD mode?

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev,

Testing today without App volumes, we cant replicate the issue easy could take upto 30+ log on to replicate the issue.

We using NoAD mode for UEM

Thanks,

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Natestack,

When the problem occurs, is there anything noteworthy in the Windows event log or the FlexEngine log?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If your using 7.1 or above I think logon monitor is installed, I'd look int %programdata%\vmware logon monitor\ and look at the latest file there. I think with the latest versions of appvolumes and uem it places information there that can help.

techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We had a similar issue here. I think our ultimate fix was to rebuild the gold image from scratch. App Volumes creates a system appstack that stores changes to the OS when the service is running. This is probably the cause of our issue. You can try stopping the app volume services on the gold image and deleting everything out of c:\svroot and reboot.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you upgrade the AV agent in your gold image? When I've had agent issues like this, the first thing I always try is to reinstall the agents in the gold image in the correct order:

VMware Knowledge Base

I also uninstall them in the reverse order listed in the KB above, and then install them in the correct order (with a reboot between every uninstall / reinstall for good measure). I find that normally sorts most agent issues out.

[Edit] Just to add to the above post about the possibility of AV mounting an appstack to your gold image, you should also delete all entries from the following reg key, other than those for the C drive, to ensure you can undo any possible damage caused by AV:

[HKLM]System\MountedDevices

Any necessary entries will be recreated after a reboot

Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is still ongoing.

we thought we might be onto something when we found that antivirus was scanning all users profiles.

still ongoing tho

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doing a clean up of my old threads

a somewhat fix which is documented is doing a shutdown script

C:\Windows\System32\net.exe stop /y workstation

this seems to make life better.