VMware Horizon Community
VMHVVDI
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent login issues with Teams

Hello Everyone;

I have reviewed these forums many times over the years, this is my first time posting a question. 

I am having some login challenges with Teams when using DEM.  I am hoping someone else may have come across my situation before and might offer some suggestions to assist.

We recently deployed a new optimized W10 desktop to the Accounting Team at my employer.  As part of that desktop, we introduced Teams to this group. During the pilot, we had four users who worked out the kinks of the new desktop and its applications for about six weeks. Teams worked great during that pilot, no issues. 

However, once we deployed it to the entire group, after a few days, Teams started having all sorts of intermittent login issues for many users.  They come in two different scenarios:

1. After Login the user gets a failure screen: “We’re sorry – we’ve run into an issue”.  There is a Restart button that does nothing but restart the app to the same error.  Below that button, it lists what seems like the horizon desktop ID.  This is followed up with an error – Error code - 80070003.
  2. The other scenario is where the user will semi-successfully gets into the application, and sometimes can even Instant Message other users while seemingly offline. During this scenario, they get a message saying “We weren’t able to connect.  Sign in and we’ll try again.  Sign in” All attempts to sign in fail. Even closing out Teams and restarting, it does not allow the user fully back into the application.

People will work successfully with Teams for several days before running into this issue. When the issue reappears, we provide manual work-arounds.  Those work-arounds are the following:

1. Deleting the settings.json file in this location: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams. In most cases this will get the user back in immediately.  They will be good for a few more days, sometime longer.
  2. If deleting the settings.json does not work, we delete the user’s Teams profile within DEM.  This provides a similar solution where they will be good for several days before this issue might, or might not, appear again.

Other Items of note:

• Teams was installed using the Machine-Wide Installer (ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1), the last Teams version deployed was from early November (1.3.00.30866).  This issue has existed on previous versions.
  • Horizon 7.7 – Windows 10 Enterprise 1809
  • Using DEM 10.1 (2009).
  • This is the current DEM config we have for Teams:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Credentials

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Teams

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin

<LocalAppData>\SquirrelTemp

<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\IdentityCache

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\storage.json

<AppData>\Teams

[ExcludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\Teams\logs

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Cache

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\tmp

<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState

<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\Temp

[ExcludeFiles]

*.txt

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\lockfile

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\WPPMediaPerApp\Teams

I’m curious if anyone has come across this situation before. If so, is there something I am missing from a DEM perspective? Is there anything I should include or exclude in the Teams settings I currently have? Thank you in advance for your perspective.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DNicholsoncla
Contributor
Contributor

any update as we are having this same issue?

0 Kudos
VMHVVDI
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DNicholsoncla,

We did have success, for a while, by excluding the desktop-config.json file in DEM (<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\desktop-config.json).  That seemed to solve the issue for well over a month, but for for whatever reason this issue has inexplicably come back. 

We have not deployed Teams to any other pools because of this inconsistency.  Users assigned the pool that currently has Teams know how to delete their own settings.json. So when it comes up they fix it themselves.

I'd be interested to hear what things you have tried. My next step is to reach out to Microsoft.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone tried excluding the settings.json? I believe this is what is causing the angst in out environment.

0 Kudos
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, has anyone tried:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WorkplaceJoin
"BlockAADWorkplaceJoin"=DWORD:00000001

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @VMHVVDI 

Did you end up getting this resolved? We're experiencing the same issue in our environment. So far Microsoft haven't been too helpful. 

Thank you, 

Mike 

0 Kudos
VMHVVDI
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike,

I did get it resolved by adding the following exclusions via DEM.

[ExcludeFiles]

<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\desktop-config.json
<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\settings.json

I cannot speak to whether that will work for all who experience this issue, but it seemed to put us in a position to get around the error.

gotsquat
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon/DEM and appvolumes 2206 with instant clones.  Teams installed on gold image (win10x64 21h2).

Thanks for this but unfortunately, in our case, excluding these 2 files does not fix/enable the auto login issue but it does fix the Error code - 80070003 at every login.  Based on our tests, excluding those 2 json files does prevent the error but users are still forced to always type in the password/MFA credentials at every login.

For us, Teams was logging on automatically for a while, then someone deleted all the registered instant clone devices in Azure, since then, we have this issue. 

Note that on physical laptops, we dont experience the 80070003 error and Teams logs on automatically.

We've opened a support ticket and will report back if they provide a fix/solution.

Our DEM config file (direct flex not enabled)

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\IdentityCache
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Teams
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin
<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy
<LocalAppData>\SquirrelTemp
<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
<AppData>\Microsoft Teams\logs