VMware Horizon Community
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import GPO settings into DEM?

Anyone know if it's possible to import GPO settings into DEM that have already been configured? We did GPOs for many settings and want to move them to DEM as much as possible.

Also I saw where to import the ADMX files which worked and I can see them for users, but do we just have to leave system configurations in GPOs? Loopback is on of course.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Hoodsie2018,

There's no option to convert GPOs to DEM ADMX-based settings, sorry.

Also I saw where to import the ADMX files which worked and I can see them for users, but do we just have to leave system configurations in GPOs?

Not sure whether this is what you mean, but as of DEM 2006 (10.0), we also support ADMX-based computer settings.

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. That's too bad about importing because if you configure things using admx you can import them locally back and forth.

Sorry, I misspoke on the second question. The ADMX settings in DEM cover user settings. But is there the ability to do computer settings as well or do those have to be done via GPO?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Hoodsie2018,

Prior to DEM 2006 (10.0) DEM's ADMX-based settings only supported user policy settings. As of version 2006 we also support computer policy settings – same ADMX-based Settings node in the tree, but now on the Computer Environment ribbon.

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see that tab (we are on 2006), but there's nothing but "Horizon Smart Policies". Nothing on the left like the User Environment tab. Is there supposed to be? I do see under smart policies Horizon settings, but that's it.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Hoodsie2018,

Hmmmm, that's strange... As of version 2006, the Computer Environment ribbon now also has a tree on the left, even though it only contains two items (Horizon Smart Policies and ADMX-based Settings.) It's possible to lock down Management Console features via Group Policy, but in that case you'd still see the tree...

Can you please double-check that your Management Console is indeed version 2006 (10.0)?

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dote! Looks like we're on 9.11. Can we go to DEM 2006 without Horizon being on 2006?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Hoodsie2018,

Dote! Looks like we're on 9.11.

That would explain it, yes Smiley Happy

DEM 2006 is supported on quite a few Horizon versions, so you should be find with just upgrading DEM.

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome. Do you know of a good blog on how to do an in-place upgrade? I have the console installed on an administrative server and after having done some GPO settings and pre-creating the shares the console tool put the files on the shares as appropriate.     

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The upgrade is very straightforward​​, but it's important to do it in the following order:

1. DEM agents
  2. Management Console(s)
  3. ADMX templates (the ones that come with the product, for configuring DEM itself.)

The first two steps are just the standard MSI next-next-upgrade-done; the last one's just a matter of overwriting the ADMX and ADML files in your SYSVOL's PolicyDefinition folder.

0 Kudos