VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

Implementing folder redirection

I currently use Instant clones with writables "UIA + Profile" but for ease of administration of the user files, I would like to implement folder redirection.   I will just start with the users' documents folder.

Aside from configuring UEM for redirection of the "Documents" folder.  How do I go about moving their files auto-magically into the redirected location?  

Thanks!

Larry

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Are you using UEM for user profiles? if yes, you can re-direct documents folder using folder redirection under user environment tab, please do let me know if you need any more information

If you are not using UEM, we can do it using GPO

Thank you,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

I understand and get that UEM can redirect folders to other locations.   I can easily do that.  What UEM does not do what GPO's do is copy the contents of their folder to be redirected to the new location. 

For instance,

Currently I'm using AppVol writable volumes with Instant Clones, to have persistence for the user no matter where they log into.  They currently have files in the "Documents" folder within the writable volume.  Using UEM and enabling redirection for that specific folder, the current contents of the documents folder on the writable volume are not migrated to the redirected documents folder automatically.    So when the user logs in to their desktop after the UEM policy has put in place, yes their documents folder is redirected, but the contents that they previously had within documents folder are still on the writeable volume.  Their redirected location is and will be empty.

Larry

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi LarryBlanco2,

As UEM only allows redirecting folders and does not offer the option to copy or move existing content, you will have to script that yourself (using XCOPY or RoboCopy, for instance). You can then run that script from a UEM logon or logoff task.

After your script has run, it's probably a good idea to set some kind of flag (on the file system or in the registry) that prevents it from running again. You can then use this flag in a condition on your UEM logon/logoff task and your UEM folder redirection setting (but slightly different, in that you want to perform the task if the flag does not exist, but redirect the folders if it does.)

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

I figured as much but wanted to make sure.   Thanks.

Larry B.